> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,603
Threads: 57,025
Welcome to our newest member, Beanus
Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2017, 05:05 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtransplant View Post
Just meant met in person through work or other social activities. Let's not get started on ground blinds lol!
I like this guy already.
BPturkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2017, 01:48 PM   #22 (permalink)

Just got started last year. Didn't find a single turkey all of the general hunt (on public) so I'm hoping this year I can at least locate some turkeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2017, 02:16 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallardhead12 View Post
Just got started last year. Didn't find a single turkey all of the general hunt (on public) so I'm hoping this year I can at least locate some turkeys.

Go look for them this week. If you can find them, they will likely be within a couple miles of where you see them right now. They usually move up a canyon or creek from where you see them now. They need water (pond or creek nearby), roosting trees, and some open meadows to do a little strutting. If you can find some now, go back there at first light during your hunt and listen for gobbles. Move up the canyon 1/2 mile get out, turn your truck off, and listen again for 10-15 minutes. Don't make a sound, they do not respond often to guys yelping while their diesel truck or 4 wheeler sits there and idles. Have witnessed that on 7 or 8 different occasions now. They drive off and within 5-10 minutes they are gobbling again.
Mallardhead12 likes this.
toasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2017, 05:30 PM   #24 (permalink)

If I get to excited about going out with my youngest daughter on her first hunt my work will send me out of town. Should be a good hunt for her though because it's going down on privite property thick with birds.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
wyogoob likes this.
swbuckmaster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2017, 05:40 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toasty View Post
Go look for them this week. If you can find them, they will likely be within a couple miles of where you see them right now. They usually move up a canyon or creek from where you see them now. They need water (pond or creek nearby), roosting trees, and some open meadows to do a little strutting. If you can find some now, go back there at first light during your hunt and listen for gobbles. Move up the canyon 1/2 mile get out, turn your truck off, and listen again for 10-15 minutes. Don't make a sound, they do not respond often to guys yelping while their diesel truck or 4 wheeler sits there and idles. Have witnessed that on 7 or 8 different occasions now. They drive off and within 5-10 minutes they are gobbling again.

Thanks, toasty. I'm going to try and get out this weekend and into next week for sure. Any tips on where to start looking? Im definitely willing to find the birds just thinking about where to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2017, 08:32 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallardhead12 View Post
Thanks, toasty. I'm going to try and get out this weekend and into next week for sure. Any tips on where to start looking? Im definitely willing to find the birds just thinking about where to start.
I know this sounds general, but pretty much every canyon along the I-15 corridor has turkeys in it, even the small ones. The big canyons will have turkeys in the small canyons as you travel up them. Just start driving up the canyons, find a little creek and follow it a little ways. I don't know Tooele area at all, so I can't help you there.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:35 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtransplant View Post
Just meant met in person through work or other social activities. Let's not get started on ground blinds lol!
I love my ground blind. It keeps the rain and snow off me and I can move around all I want. Unfortunately the turkeys don't seem to like it as much as me

On a serious note, has anyone seen any turkeys on the Monroe this year? After hunting the Boulders for 2 years and only seeing a few turkeys and getting snowed on constantly, my friends and I want to try somewhere new. We do have a guaranteed turkey spot in southern Utah but it's too easy and the camping sucks.
boulderman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017, 04:12 PM   #28 (permalink)

I can move around all I want not in a blind. That's why I don't like blinds they only work in one type of situation, and with hunting turkeys the last thing I want to do is limit myself.
SCtransplant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017, 04:26 PM   #29 (permalink)

The only reason I can think of for using a blind on a turkey hunt is if you have little kids that can't sit still. I am always on the move when I hunt as I only ever hunt public birds that change their pattern every day. Setting up in a single spot would not work because they always go the opposite way that I am set up. I prefer to leave the blind, decoys, and little kids at home for spring turkey hunting.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:55 PM   #30 (permalink)

Archery tackle + turkeys = blinds

- Winston Churchill

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and awhile
goofy elk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.