Turkey winter kill - Utah Wildlife Network

» Site Navigation
» Home
»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,520
Threads: 56,710
Posts: 589,144
Welcome to our newest member, sshuntn
Like Tree19Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
goofy elk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: up Spanish Fork canyon
Posts: 5,817
Default Turkey winter kill

I'm finding canyons in the central region with significant winter kill
on turkey flocks..........NOT GOOD.

I imagine up north is worse,
Any reports? good or bad.
__________________
You have enemies? Good. That means you've
stood up for something, sometime in your life.

- Winston Churchill


Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and awhile
goofy elk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
West side Utah Lake
 
LostLouisianian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy elk View Post
I'm finding canyons in the central region with significant winter kill
on turkey flocks..........NOT GOOD.

I imagine up north is worse,
Any reports? good or bad.
That's not good, hopefully this warm up is in time but it's not sounding like it. If it's that bad it could take 2-3 years for any recovery at best.
__________________
Jambalaya and a crawfish pie and file' gumbo, Son of a gun we'll have big fun on the bayou, Thibodaux, Fontenot the place is buzzin'
LostLouisianian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
#1DEER 1-I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy elk View Post
I'm finding canyons in the central region with significant winter kill
on turkey flocks..........NOT GOOD.

I imagine up north is worse,
Any reports? good or bad.
Sad to hear, are you seeing many live birds?
#1DEER 1-I is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-10-2017, 03:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
goofy elk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: up Spanish Fork canyon
Posts: 5,817
Default

I am seeing birds that look good at lower elevations and in canyons
that have south slope burn off.

It's the turkeys pin'd in upper canyons that got in trouble.
Lake Fork, Dairy Fork, Tucker, Starvation, Tie fork for example,
All in SF canyon.
These birds were all in trouble 2-3 weeks ago, 90% didn't make it to this 'warm' up.

I will also add on a VERY good note.
I looked at a part of the southern region a few days ago,
saw almost unbelievable numbers.
Going to be an AWESOME LE opener
#1DEER 1-I likes this.
__________________
You have enemies? Good. That means you've
stood up for something, sometime in your life.

- Winston Churchill


Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and awhile
goofy elk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
DallanC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,381
Default

Hawks and eagles are sure looking fat. They decimate those big black birds stuck on fields of white.


-DallanC
DallanC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2017, 04:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
goofy elk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: up Spanish Fork canyon
Posts: 5,817
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallanC View Post
Hawks and eagles are sure looking fat. They decimate those big black birds stuck on fields of white.


-DallanC
NO DOUBT about that either!

Both Nebo creek and Bennie creek are getting hammered by birds of prey.
Some were around 20 Bald and Golden eagles pounding those flocks right now.
__________________
You have enemies? Good. That means you've
stood up for something, sometime in your life.

- Winston Churchill


Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and awhile
goofy elk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2017, 04:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,202
Default

Winter kill in turkeys is not anything like winter kill in deer or elk. Although they can have a winter kill, with a good spring, numbers can still be good. A cold wet spring around hatch time can be much more devastating to turkey numbers than a heavy winter. But to be on the safe side, I would recommend that all elk hunters forgo this springs turkey hunt and leave the few remaining birds to us real hunters.
BPturkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2017, 04:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
#1DEER 1-I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy elk View Post
I am seeing birds that look good at lower elevations and in canyons
that have south slope burn off.

It's the turkeys pin'd in upper canyons that got in trouble.
Lake Fork, Dairy Fork, Tucker, Starvation, Tie fork for example,
All in SF canyon.
These birds were all in trouble 2-3 weeks ago, 90% didn't make it to this 'warm' up.

I will also add on a VERY good note.
I looked at a part of the southern region a few days ago,
saw almost unbelievable numbers.
Going to be an AWESOME LE opener
Sucks to hear, but at least some flocks are doing okay in lower areas. Hopefully we get a good hath and perfect spring to bring numbers back up. If that happens turkeys aren't quite as hard to recover as 100,000 deer if we lose them this winter.
__________________
Keep Public lands, in public hands. Sign the petition:
https://secure3.convio.net/trcp/site...rAction&id=415
Join BHA: http://www.backcountryhunters.org
#1DEER 1-I is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,131
Default

Dang this makes me wish I had discovered turkey hunting earlier than 3 years ago! Now that I'm hopelessly addicted I had to move to the only state without those birds! Although I did actually see one on the Kenai Peninsula 10 years ago and apparently there was a guy that released a flock of easterns there. Rumors have it they made it for several years but nobody has or is willing to confirm a sighting in the last 6 years that I'm aware of...might need to try some shock gobbling in the area on my spring bear hunts just in case!
johnnycake is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2017, 04:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycake View Post
Dang this makes me wish I had discovered turkey hunting earlier than 3 years ago! Now that I'm hopelessly addicted I had to move to the only state without those birds! Although I did actually see one on the Kenai Peninsula 10 years ago and apparently there was a guy that released a flock of easterns there. Rumors have it they made it for several years but nobody has or is willing to confirm a sighting in the last 6 years that I'm aware of...might need to try some shock gobbling in the area on my spring bear hunts just in case!
The good news is that Washington ain't that far and they got some GREAT turkey huntin.
johnnycake likes this.
BPturkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Smilies
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winter kill setting in #1DEER 1-I Big game 14 03-19-2016 07:57 AM
Winter Kill Dukes_Daddy Big game 13 01-13-2013 09:00 PM
Elk winter kill Bo0YaA Big game 8 06-08-2011 07:18 AM
Reports of winter kill... goofy elk Big game 31 03-12-2011 08:52 PM
So did Northern have bad winter-kill? bigbuck81 Big game 26 09-09-2008 09:21 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.