> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 8,509
Threads: 46,592
Welcome to our newest member, ABly
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Magnifying scope on muzzleloader??

Was on DWR and seen they passes having a magnifying scope on your muzzloader??
Andygonzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Be sure to read the entire change, this does not relate to the muzzleloader season, here is the actual change:
Quote:
Magnifying scopes, draw locks and crossbows
Another change the board approved will allow the use of three items during Utah's any-weapon big game hunts: Magnifying scopes on muzzleloaders, draw lock devices on bows and the use of crossbows.
Andygonzo likes this.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

This will be a huge revenue maker for the DNR. Many folks will take to the woods with a 3X9 on the muzzy next year. We'll call it the "dollars from dumbarses" program.-------SS
Kevin D, Huge29, Mavis13 and 2 others like this.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks huge 29 I appreciate it..
Andygonzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sagebrush

this will just lead to having to allow magnifying scopes during the regular muzzle loader season.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm not understanding why I'm hearing so many people say that they are now allowing the use of magnified scopes during the muzzleloader hunt. READ THE RULE CHANGE! IT DOESN"T SAY THAT! Maybe they could have worded it better.

One idiot interprets it wrong and blabs his mouth off when he doesn't know what they are talking about.
hatch000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatch000 View Post
I'm not understanding why I'm hearing so many people say that they are now allowing the use of magnified scopes during the muzzleloader hunt. READ THE RULE CHANGE! IT DOESN"T SAY THAT! Maybe they could have worded it better.

One idiot interprets it wrong and blabs his mouth off when he doesn't know what they are talking about.

While I understand you sentiment, you must remeber that these things are almost never written as to be easily understood.------SS
Old 12-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebrush View Post
this will just lead to having to allow magnifying scopes during the regular muzzle loader season.
I totally agree. Although, I never really understood why this wasn't passed earlier. Choosing a muzzleloader during the rifle hunt isn't my first choice, but black powder rifles are pretty dang fun.
waspocrew is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 12:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

I like the idea of magnifying optics on a quality modern muzzeloader. With my aging eyes I have 3 muzzeloaders that will outshot my ability to get a clear site picture. I have done all of my hunting with a muzzeloader since 1992. to include a moose in 1998. I hope to draw a mountain goat permit this year. It's nice to know I can slip my Leapold III 2.5-8 on one of my Austin Hallics.

I would not like to see this trickel down to muzzeloader only seasons. It will only contaninate the idea of "primitive weapons" hunting. I thought the introduction of 209 primers was a little to modern to consider it traditional hunting. I have 3 black powders that I still use only plack powder and round balls with. I did get on the band wagon and upgrade to modern designs once I chose to use my smokles weapons just for varmets. A 338 win mag is a little overkill on coyotes
lifes short likes this.
FatDaddy63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springville Shooter View Post
This will be a huge revenue maker for the DNR. Many folks will take to the woods with a 3X9 on the muzzy next year. We'll call it the "dollars from dumbarses" program.-------SS
For this to happen you would have to see some Enforcement during the hunt. Been muzzleload hunting for 33 years only talked to one DWR person and he was just hunting. Never been checked. So once every 33 years the people using magnifing scopes will get to contibute to the DFDA Fund.

That is what I worry about if the DWR does not educate people better about this rule change. People will throw 3X9s on their muzzleloaders and use it for years and not even know they are breaking the law.
lifes short is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.