»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 8,690
Threads: 46,859
Welcome to our newest member, MAlderson

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default muzzleloader opinions

I drew dedicated hunter this year so I need to buy a muzzleloader. This will be my first time muzzleloader hunting. My question is what would be a good starter gun for me to buy.
I'm looking for a mid price range good shooting gun. Thanks for any advice you can share.
Semaj3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: muzzleloader opinions

I picked up a CVA optima in 50 cal for $200 on midwayusa.com.... it's a super easy rifle to clean and it shoots great. This will be my first muzzleloader season as well and the Optima just seemed like an easy way to get into it. I'd recommend it for sure.
waspocrew is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 03:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Very happy with my new CVA Accura V2, super good trigger and as accurate as any muzzy I have seen. Super easy to clean, light and it has a good recoil pad.

$400 from sportsmans warehouse-stainless, camo stock.
timberbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Omega, don't need stainless or camo, kind of silly if you ask me.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. Another question would be does it make a big difference that I'm a left handed shooter?
I noticed while reading about the guns listed above that the Accura V2 mentioned it was good for ambidextrous shooting. I have almost no experience with muzzleloaders so is the right or left handed thing a big issue?
Old 07-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge29
Omega, don't need stainless or camo, kind of silly if you ask me.
+1
Old 07-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Left and Right handed IS a BIG deal! Buy one that you can shoulder to your left arm and the hammer (on a traditional) will be on the left side of the rifle.
Bears Butt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

I went and looked at muzzleloaders today and think I'm leaning toward the optima. 1 question for the omega owners I have is what makes it a better gun in your opinion? I seem to like the break action opposed to the way you load the primer on the omega but I've never shot either style. I think the accura v2 was a sharp looking gun and felt good to shoulder but I think $400 is a little more than I want to spend.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
1 question for the omega owners I have is what makes it a better gun in your opinion?
Thompson Center Arms was the cream of the crop in muzzleloading for awhile there. The Omega was their centerpiece. It is extremely well built, reliable under any conditions and as accurate as any black powder gun made. I have never heard a single negative word about the Omega's performance.

All that said, I think T/C quality has gone down the past few years. Their newer guns are not the same high quality as the Omega, in my opinion. I sold an Encore not too long after buying it because I quickly realized that it is not nearly the shooter that the Omega is.

CVA used to be the worst built muzzleloaders on the planet, but their quality has really improved. The Optima is an example of a pretty good gun at a fair price. The Optima is not machined as tightly as the Omega, but it's not bad!
xxxxxxBirdDogger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bears Butt
Left and Right handed IS a BIG deal! Buy one that you can shoulder to your left arm and the hammer (on a traditional) will be on the left side of the rifle.

+100! Shooting a Right handed sidelock as a lefty is dangerous! There is all kinds of blowback and debris right next to your eyes. I did it for a few years in my novice years and had some close calls. Its one of two primary reasons I now use an inline (the rifle having a safety being the other reason).

-DallanC
DallanC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.