> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,598
Threads: 56,997
Welcome to our newest member, TurkeyThug
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2017, 10:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallanC View Post
Yes, I at least swab every shot with a patch lightly damp with windex. Ramrod removed (although I've never thought about it having any kind of accuracy effect). I use a longer range rod for loading / cleaning though...

-DallanC

Never heard of using windex! Might have to give that one a try.
DeadI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2017, 04:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

A couple years back I did a little experiment...
I fired one shot with a clean barrel at the first (left target), quickly reloaded and fired at the middle target, quickly reloaded and fired at the right target.
I put a couple Windex patches down the barrel and allowed the barrel to cool for a couple minutes then repeated the sequence twice.

My groups sizes basically doubled between the clean barrel and the next shot but the third shot was similar to the second. Point of impact jumped up a couple inches from the clean barrel to the second shot but then dropped several inches on the third shot.

I did this back with a 1x scope... maybe I'll repeat that now that I've got a spiffy new 12x scope on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Derek - Muzzleloader 2015.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	106969  
Old 03-06-2017, 04:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Projectile type makes a big difference, some projectiles will "scrape off" fouling when they go down. A full bore conical will help with this, roundball patches seem to do it as well I think more due to the lube on the patch, sabots don't like dirty barrels much at all and get scrapped up.

-DallanC
7MM RELOADED likes this.
DallanC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2017, 06:29 AM   #14 (permalink)

For my smoke poles, I've found that a "clean barrel" isn't the most accurate. (My load is a .44 cal 300 gr. XTP with 110 gr. of FFF triple seven.)

After the first shot, I run a "spit patch" down the barrel and load the next round. My grouping is tighter this way, and I don't need to totally clean the barrel after three to five shots.

Try it, and it may work for your setup.
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2017, 09:58 AM   #15 (permalink)

That is usually the case with an "over bore" barrel. Dedicated Roundball barrels for example, are usually a few thousands oversized and do benefit from a fouling charge.

I've not heard of any modern fast twist barrels needing that however, well ever since White stopped making some of their oversized barrels, especially the 52cal ran a really odd overbore size.

-DallanC
DallanC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2017, 05:24 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallanC View Post
That is usually the case with an "over bore" barrel. Dedicated Roundball barrels for example, are usually a few thousands oversized and do benefit from a fouling charge.

I've not heard of any modern fast twist barrels needing that however, well ever since White stopped making some of their oversized barrels, especially the 52cal ran a really odd overbore size.

-DallanC
My Pro Hunter .50 and my CVA's all shoot tighter this way. Haven't tried it in the TC .54 Black Mountain Mag. Guess I have a need to go shoot this weekend.
taxidermist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.