> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 7,580
Threads: 45,414
Welcome to our newest member, lightning60
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Youth archery deer tags-No one buying?

I find it intresting, not one single unit has sold out ...
Enter any age under 18, hit go. it will show avalible permits by unit.

https://secure.utah.gov/hflo/available-licenses.html

Any thoughts?

- Winston Churchill

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and awhile

Last edited by goofy elk; 08-03-2013 at 01:51 PM.
goofy elk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Perhaps Utah has finally hit the saturation point with youth archery licenses. Also if the young hunter doesn't have a mentor that archery hunts then it is doubtful that they will follow in their footsteps and become a archery hunter. I know of quite a fey young hunters that if they don't draw out with their dads they just don't go hunting, that along with hunting not being a priority as it was back when I started around 50 years ago.

I know that the one reason that I took up archery hunting was so that I could hunt that much more as long as you could afford the licenses.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

I know quite a few kids that have cow rifle tags and antelope tags. Lots of opportunity to get meat. Not enough time or money to do both. If those same kids didnt draw those tags they would have picked up archery tags.

To tell you the truth though almost every other kid I know drew a rifle tag this year so no need for the archery tag.

Then there are kids who are either pampered or lazy. They don't want to put forth any effort with a bow cause its too hard. They cant hit anything the first time trying so they give up.

$$ can be a problem with bows because the bow and arrow companies keep raising the prices.

Last edited by swbuckmaster; 08-03-2013 at 05:20 PM.
swbuckmaster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

I could have gotten this tag 2 years ago when I was 17, and part of me wishes I had. The problem was, my dad, who is my hunting partner, doesnt do archery. Add in the fact that I was going to school and working part time it was hard to save up $1,000.00 for a new setup. That and the fact that I didn't want to go by myself and you can see why I didn't get the tag.

Im sure many youths are facing the same problems I did 2 years ago. Probably why the tags aren't selling out. Just my $.02
Oblivion5888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Due to the 20% rule, I never had a problem getting rifle deer tags while under 18. I'm assuming that most youth who wanted a rifle tag got one, and that most youth who wanted an archery tag probably got one in the draw.
Clarq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

No surprise. I don't have solid stats, but roughly 1/3 of the kid archers I contact are eager to hunt with a bow. But only about 20% of those kids are able to do so for a variety of reasons that ALL boil down to a lack of adult support. Of those who do bowhunt, almost every one comes from a bowhunting family.

I'm not smart enough to figure out a solution. Pure and simple - there just isn't a good substitute for Dad (with the rare exception of a bowhunting Mom) and there ain't near enough Dads out there. Bless every one of you.
stablebuck likes this.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Putting in for the any weapon tag makes a lot more sense than appyling directly for the archery only tag. My guess is most kids who have parents that hunt archery know for a fact how hard the hunt can be. Might as well give them 3 seasons instead if possible. I would guess some will sell as it gets closer to the time but I really don't think there is the demand. Just another feel good move by the Wildlife board.
middlefork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Good responses already. Only thing I'd add is I know many youth who didn't draw their deer tags (any weapon) this year and last year. They won't purchase these youth tags for the reasons already listed-- high cost, not enough time, too much dedication, hard to practice, can't go with family, unfamiliar with archery, etc.... The youth tags are great for the small fraction of youth who are already in archery hunting circles and who didn't already draw a permit. That is a small group of youth.
Packout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

It's true that times have changed and youth have so many more options, but it seems like simple logic and math to me. The more incentives you remove from adults, the fewer youth you'll get. You can't draw youth through the front door (and keep them) if you're kicking the adults out the back! By the same token, the more incentives you keep (or add) for the adults, the more youth you'll get and keep.
elkfromabove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have two kids, a boy and a girl, who didn't draw an any weapon tag for deer. I have a bow and enjoy hunting with it but it's too hard for them to pull and I can't afford to buy either of them a bow to hunt with especially since I just got them another gun to hunt with. Since they didn't get the deer tags I got them elk tags instead. It was tempting to just bag the hunt and just go fishing instead.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.