Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Should Utah Legalize Hunting With Crossbows?

• Yes - during the archery AND "any-weapon" seasons (and as long as it doesn't affect season dates or

Votes: 0 0.0%

Crossbow Poll: Should Utah Allow Crossbows?

7K views 80 replies 33 participants last post by  Moostickles 
#1 ·
I realize we have already had a long discussion on this topic on a different thread (http://utahwildlife.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38544); however, I, and a few other sportsmen, would like to know just how many of you are for or against legalizing crossbows in Utah.

Let us know why you voted the way you did, or if you have any other suggestions that aren't listed in the poll questions.

***OOPS... I edited a question on the poll and it erased the results. My apologies.
The results as of 11/22/11 10:09AM were

(22 votes) Yes - during the archery AND "any-weapon" seasons (and as long as it doesn't affect season dates or tag numbers
(6 votes) Yes - but only during "any-weapon" seasons
(0 votes) Yes - but NOT during the deer or elk seasons, only for bear, cougar, turkey, etc.
(0 votes) Yes - but only during a crossbow specific season (tags would be taken from other hunts)
(7 votes) No - current crossbow laws should stay as they are (permanently disabled hunters only)
(0 votes) No - crossbows should not be allowed for hunting in Utah for any reason whatsoever

See less See more
#9 ·
Can't answer the question because its too narrow...a single consideration in a much bigger issue. Advances in weapon technology and IT technology have outdated our current regulations and we now need a comprehensive equipment review.

#10 ·
A tag is a tag! As long as there are no safety issues I just don't get it. Let people hunt with a spear if they want to.

If it lets more people hunt with a tag (lower success rates equals more tags) let them give it a try. I don't believe it will have an affect on success rates.

I am open for discussion on this one. I haven't seen a really good reason not to allow them other than you don't have to draw it back. Which baffles me. You get one shot. It is with an arrow. Shot placement may be more ethical/precise(a good thing), but not guaranteed. You all know how shaky you can be with an animal standing within 40 yards.

Do you think people will be more drawn to this form of hunting so it threatens the way you hunt? I guess I just don't get it.

#11 ·
silentstalker said:
Nope. Only for disabled hunters or during the general any weapon seasons. I have shot them. They do not need to be drawn on an animal and can be shot off a tripod. Both major reasons why I am against them. They do not belong in an archery season IMO.
What difference does it make if they don't need to be drawn at the moment of the shot? It only takes a second to draw a compound bow back. Crossbows only shoot one arrow at a time before you have to ****ed it again. You still need to get into bow range.

Maybe range finder shouldn't be allowed because then you would have to guess the distance of your shot. This is the kind of logic your using here.

#12 ·
I think they should allow them, I personally would not use one until I am unable to draw regular archery equipment. I dont see a problem.

#13 ·
I think they would be a great addition. They would allow 'newbies' be eased into the bow hunting realm, they would allow for young/old hunters to enjoy the sport, and there is amble data to show that crossbows do NOT lead to higher success rates. The single biggest limiting factor for bow hunting success is distance, and that is still the case when a cross bow is used, in fact I contend the current compound bow is far more accurate, has far more range, and is a far more effective weapon, so if crossbows are deemed to 'modern', or too effective, then so should the majority of late model compound bows. To be clear, I am NOT advocating putting new restrictions on compound bows, I am merely pointing out what should be obvious!

#14 ·
I feel that even though it may be a crossbow it is still a bow. What I mean is you still have to be within 100 yards of the animal and still put on a good stalk. I don't think the success rates would really change that much. I also don't feel that guys who have been shooting bows their whole lives will want to switch to a crossbow (I wouldn't). If anything more people might try archery season but I don't feel they would be anymore successful than the other archers.

#15 ·
I didn't vote only because I didn't see an option I liked; why not allow crossbows during the muzzle loader? They are both single shot, short range (obviously a crossbow has a shorter range than a muzzle loader) and can be aimed from a dead rest, or just have a crossbow only hunt if they can't compete with the muzzle loaders.

#16 ·
gregkdc said:
I didn't vote only because I didn't see an option I liked; why not allow crossbows during the muzzle loader? They are both single shot, short range (obviously a crossbow has a shorter range than a muzzle loader) and can be aimed from a dead rest, or just have a crossbow only hunt if they can't compete with the muzzle loaders.
And where would the tags come from? The muzzle loader hunts already get their tags from the general rifle, so should we take more away from the general rifle to give to the crossbow hunters? How about limiting the bow season to just those that shoot a long bow and make those with compounds hunt in the general rifle season?

I believe that it is a bow with a bolt/arrow and belongs in the archery season

#17 ·
gregkdc said:
Why would you want to hunt with a crossbow during a ML hunt in the first place? Wouldn't it be easier on an archery hunt where the crossbow belongs?

#18 ·
coyoteslayer said:
gregkdc said:
Why would you want to hunt with a crossbow during a ML hunt in the first place? Wouldn't it be easier on an archery hunt where the crossbow belongs?
+1

#19 ·
I'm with Finn on this one, not enough info. If you argue the lethality and effectiveness of cross guns versus the compound bow to try to thwart the legality of using them during the archery season you're an idiot. Todays C.M.A.S.D's are WAY more effective a killing weapon in the right hands than any crossbow. So, if you argue lethality, the compound bow should be illegal instead... It's a fact, the lethality and effectiveness of todays technology enhanced systems are THE reason archery hunters are taking it in the shorts. Rule makers are seeing them as a bigger reason we don't have the deer we used too. Total baloney, but it's true.

#20 ·
gregkdc said:
In Utah, you cannot use standard archery tackle during the ML hunt. That is the reason I didn't list that option.

#21 ·
I see nothing wrong with allowing crossbows during archery or any legal weapon hunts. Saying crossbows are not archery equipment is like saying a Wankel engine (rotary engine) is not an engine. Just because it functions a bit different doesn't make any less of an engine. I think hunters should have the option to decide what kind of archery equipment they use. I also think Muzzy's should be allowed magnification scopes bt that's for a different thread.

#23 ·
The laws are perfect the way they are. In my opinion at archery is meant to be the challenging hunt for the more skilled and dedicated hunters although from experience recently everyone is all of a sudden an archer. I know some of you say you still have to be close with the crossbow but it's not the same. I've shot crossbows and I know it would be an easier hunt then with a standard bow.

#24 ·
I dont believe that crossbows are the monsters in the closet that some think they are.
In Wyoming about 10-15 percent of hunters use them. Some Wyoming hunters use both a crossbow and a verticle bow. Just another choice. Crossbows havent shown to have shown any negative impact with their use.

Back east they have almost 50% of hunters in some areas that use them. A significant portion of these hunters use both a verticle bow and a crossbow.

This weapon doesnt increase shooting distance or the fact that you still have to get close in to shoot.

Its just another option for hunters to choose from.

Andy

#25 ·
C.elaphus<--- said:
...archery is meant to be the challenging hunt for the more skilled and dedicated hunters...
And fly-fishermen are more dedicated and better than other fishermen... And golfers are more dignified and top-notch than other athletes... That's a little presumptuous isn't it?

So you are saying rifle and ML hunters are basically the bottom-of-the-barrel ******** who don't really care about what it takes to be a good hunter, as long as they "git ta shoot somethin?"

This is the division of hunters that has been brought up way too may times. We all hunt. We all enjoy the outdoors and our method of hunting. Not one weapon choice is better than the other. It's people like you that think you are better than everybody else because you shoot a stick and string that have caused this huge division between sportsmen.

I hunt with a bow and I hunt with a rifle; and I know more rifles hunters that are, as you would say, "more skilled and dedicated" than I do that archery hunt. Who are you to say otherwise?

#26 ·
I don't want crossbows legal. My reasoning is simple (and not based on any evidence): I believe that if crossbows were made legal we would be increasing the number of yahoos out there who decide that since their "bow" can shoot 100 yards it is ok to launch shots at animals from those distances. I believe that bow-hunting is seeing a scary trend right now with all the new advances in technology and we are slowly moving away from what bowhunting is supposed to be about--a primitive hunt that is difficult and requires hunters to close within 50-60 yards in order to ethically and effectively make their kill.

I know that by saying this I am opening up a huge can of worms and many will disagree...so be it. But, I just don't like the idea of more unethical hunters joining the "bow-hunting" fold....and, my opinion, is that it will happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.