»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,644
Threads: 57,200
Welcome to our newest member, tophunter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2011, 11:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Broken wrist- What would you do?

I spent the weekend looking at big bucks and bulls. Then my horse lost her footing and took a tumble down a steep grade. The horse is fine but I broke my wrist when I came off. The bone is chipped and currently a piece is floating free.
I've never broken an arm or leg or anything so I'm not sure what to expect as far as when I'll have strength to pull a bow. Right now I can't even open a soda bottle. What would you do in my situation? Do you think the DWR would trade me a rifle tag for my archery tag? Has anyone ever shot a bow with a cast on?
xxxxxxBirdDogger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011, 01:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Broken wrist- What would you do?

i dont think the dwr will trade your tag. i bet they will issue a COR to use a crossbow though. as far as shooting with a cast on, it depends on the break, where at and how much pain you can ignore while trying to shoot
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 06:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

With less than a month before the hunt starts I wouldnt expect to be shooting your bow. I would try for a crossbow if it were me, or turn the tag in and get healed up for next year. If you try to push it to far to fast you could make things worse.

"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking I would be talking"
Al Bundy
kailey29us is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

You cannot trade your tag straight across. However, when the remaining tags go on sale on the 27th, you can take your archery tag and exchange it for a Northern rifle or muzzleoader tag. They charge you $10 but that's better than not going. If you planned on hunting in another unit then you are out of luck for this year. The crossbow idea would probably work, but if you don't have a crossbow already, then that doesn't make alot of sense either.
Shooting a bow with a cast will probably suck! I have never tried it, but I can't imagine how it will be comfortable or consistant

Good luck though!
Old 07-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

That's a bad deal, BirdDogger. I agree with k_e_a that you will most likely will not be able to trade your tag. However, I had a buddy hunt with a broken wrist (cast extending to upper forearm) using a release. It was awkward for him, but he was still quite accurate. I believe he had about a month's time in his cast prior to the hunt, and enough room to still curl up his fingers, but he didn't have any extra bone floating around the break. You won't get any practice in for the next few weeks, but if all is going well, a month provides a lot of time for healing of the break.
RBoomK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have a video somewhere in my collection that shows Dwight Schuh shooting a bow with a homemade mouth held release after he injured his arm. I think it was a wrist release mechanism modified to let go when he bit down on it or visa versa, I can't remember. Of course, it depended on his jaw and neck strength and which arm was still good, but he got his deer. Radical maybe, but it's another idea!
Old 07-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

On PSE show the owner had a strap around his shoulder then the release on his shoulder and that's how he hunted with his broken arm and he killed a elk, I believe...
Old 07-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katorade
On PSE show the owner had a strap around his shoulder then the release on his shoulder and that's how he hunted with his broken arm and he killed a elk, I believe...
yeah pete shepley did create a device to shoot his bow with a broken arm. you can also learn to shoot using your mouth. many great target archers that have a disability have attached a strap to their bow string that they bite down on with their teeth. theres lots of ways to do it, it just is going to take some time get use to doing it a different way
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

yeah I broke my wrist playing sports once upon a time and I had surgery and had to wear a cast for 3 months. Which wrist is it? The drawing one or the gripping one? If it's the gripping one I think you're SOL...if it's the drawing one I think you'll be fine. The entertaining thing would be if you actually killed something...watching you try and field dress or debone an animal with one good hand
stablebuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Left wrist, the one I grip the bow with. There's no flipping way I can hold the bow through the draw. I'm thinking I'll just see about trading for a Northern rifle tag. It's just too close to the hunt for me to feel comfortable.
xxxxxxBirdDogger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.