> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,603
Threads: 57,025
Welcome to our newest member, Beanus
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2017, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Break in period.

I'm new to archery. Bought a new bow set at 65# 31 inch draw. I have shot about 100 shots at this point. I plan on setting it to 70# after the string breaks in. My question is about how many more shots before I get it tuned again? And will I have to continue tuning to keep it shooting the same after it is broken in?
TPrawitt91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2017, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Most shops say 500 shots then bring it back in to retune
Utahyounggun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 11:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

200 shots used to be the norm. With the equipment a lot of the string makers now use with pre stretched materials, companies like Winners Choice say 20 or so. Many claim no break in is required. The biggest thing I find that changes is the peep rotation. It takes a few shots to get the string settled in so the peep stays put. When I put on a new string, I don't tie in the peep or D loop permanent until I shoot about 100 shots. After that many shots, things always are stable if I am using a quality string from a reputable company.

The simplest and best thing to do is take some measurements (axel to axel, brace height, etc), put some marks on your cams and then shoot some arrows. You can tell at a glance if something has changed. You can also tell if something changes as the arrow starts hitting differently. That is one of the reasons I prefer the Binary Cam system. Once the cams are synced, even when the string stretches, the cams stay in sync.
bow_dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

So I guess my next question is how long does a bowstring last? Also, do they require tuning every so often or every 1000 shots or anything like that.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Depends on how much you shoot.

Guys that shoot a lot (50-100 arrows) a day change out their strings more often than the guys who shoot a couple of arrows the day before the hunt and call it good.

Me I'm a bit of a slacker and shoot maybe 15-20 arrows a couple of times a week during the winter and then ramp up a bit more for the 3D shoots and getting ready to hunt.

I think about changing my strings every couple of years unless they start to look frayed before then.

Like Bow dude says put some marks on them and if things start to change you can start looking for the reason why.
middlefork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2017, 03:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

The way to keep your bow string around a long time is
1) buy a quality bow string
2) keep it waxed.
Waxing is a must. Did I mention that waxing will keep your bow string in good shape. I wax every time I take it outdoors prior to putting it away. The sun tends to dry it out. Keeping it waxed will help keep the fuzzies away. The sting on my GT500 is 4 years old, maybe 6 now. I haven't shot it a whole bunch the last few years due to time constraints. The string on my Answer was changed this year when I started shooting in the league in January. It is a 2013, so it was 4 years old. My Synergy is a 2015, but I just bought it from a dealer, so it is "new" and should be good for a couple of years. As long as you keep it waxed, (I think I mentioned that) you replace when it starts fraying or break a strand. When I am shooting normal, that would be in a league all winter, or maybe two leagues, shooting during the summer months and hunting, I will change strings every two years or sooner if needed.

Last edited by bow_dude; 04-14-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have waxed twice now. After about 100 shots over 4 sessions. Every other session. That enough or should I every time I shoot?
Old 04-14-2017, 10:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

You will get the feel for it through doing it. When my string starts looking dry, I wax. I have used several different types of wax, not so sure it matters as long as it is waxed. My favorite is bee's wax. I buy a toilet bowel wax ring for about 5 dollars. There is enough wax on one of those to last a lifetime. I keep the wax in an old 35mm plastic film container. I will take my fingers or a leather piece and work the wax into the string. Some say you should take a piece of serving thread and clean off the excess wax after waxing. I have never done this, I work all the wax into the string.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Owner NockandStalk.com

I wax mine after every 20-40 shots. And I use string snot, it is awesome the best wax I have come across so far. It is not to expensive and keeps the string super slick and clean. With the advancement in archery and bows in the past 10 years new bows need to be retuned every 500 shots. after that. keep the stings as nice as you can with wax and replace when needed. (after first initial stretch)

Good luck!!
Old 04-19-2017, 12:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm glad I'm reading this. When I have my bow "tuned", what exactly is getting adjusted?
NVDuckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.