> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,646
Threads: 57,215
Welcome to our newest member, Anglers
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

When I "tune" my bows, I check the arrow rest height, (which never changes unless I change it), I check the "d" loop height (which normally doesn't change), I check the arrow for square to the string and raise or lower the tip if necessary (seldom changes) by adjusting the d loop or the arrow rest. I check the cam sync, which being a binary cam system doesn't change, I check the draw length on a draw board (seldom changes), I check brace height to see if there is any change and I check axel to axel measurement to see if any change. I also check draw weight and peep height. After all this, I will shoot thru the chronograph to see if there are any changes. Normally for me, things just don't change. I will also French tune to set the rest for correct distance from the riser. I will check all this prior to shooting my hunting arrows (about a month or so before the season starts or when I start shooting broad heads) and again after the hunting season and beginning of the 3-d league. If I change the arrows I want to use for hunting or leagues, I will set or check everything again. Sometimes I will tiller tune to fine tune and tighten up my groups.
NVDuckin likes this.
bow_dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2017, 09:22 AM   #12 (permalink)

I don't want to get anyone all fired up but I was told second hand that you should NOT wax your bowstrings... The guy that told my friend that is a string builder and told him that it basically only makes your string appear to be in better condition and adds weight to the string which will cause a loss in speed. Anyone more knowledgeable than me able to provide any more information on that?

For the record I am currently a religious string waxer.
huntn30inchers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

most strings that i have seen fail was due to them drying up and then letting go.

I am going to keep was on my strings. I do beleive that you need to periodically clean the wax out of the strings and rewax besouse if you dont dus't gets caught in the wax and can abraid the strings.
kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2017, 08:04 AM   #14 (permalink)

I make my own strings and only wax when the string looks dry or dirty. My target bow has seen very little wax in 4 years. My hunting bows get more because they get dirty and wet. There going on 4 years now.
I use a very soft wax and only use my fingers to apply. I may use a piece of serving to remove the excess wax but I don't get carried away with pulling it tight.

Getting your string hot burnishing it with leather isn't good and only wears your string out faster.

I never wax my serving!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
swbuckmaster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.