> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,560
Threads: 56,867
Welcome to our newest member, dovness
Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2017, 08:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Brace Hight Question??

So, I'm picking up either the Bowtech Reign 6 or 7 but, I havent decided which brace hight to get.

When I shot these bows, I wasn't even planning on looking at the Reign 6 but, it was the first bow I started shooting out of the lineup. I shot the Reign 6 and 7 and the Prodigy.

Incredible bows to say the least but, I did narrow it down between the 2 Reign's
I went to the shop 2 times over the last 2 weeks shooting these bows and I found myself shooting the Reign 6 the most.

contrary to what others say, or physics, or any other disputing factor, the Reign 6 in my hands felt like a smoother draw and a smoother drop into the back wall, dead in the hand. It seemed to release the arrow smoother but defiantly with more authority. Out of the 6 and 7, the Reign 6 was more of a WOW factor than the 7 but, how much more was minimal at best because the Reign 7 was in its self a phenomenal shooting bow, (silky smooth draw, SOLID back wall, dead in the hand etc )

If I were to guess why the R6 stuck out to me more than the 7 would be how fast it was whipping that arrow out at. With the Reign 7 shooting an IBO of 340 and the Reign 6 IBO of 350, I am split over which one to get..

Considering the range of 15-20 yards of which I was shooting, Both bows I shot extremely well. ( like a 4 arrow 2" group with their chitty sights and out of wack peep)

Id like some opinions of which BH to get and why...

This new bow setup is going to be specifically for shooting elk
I'v always shot 7" BH
My draw is 27.5 Inches
I shoot between 68-70 lbs
I'll be shooting an arrow between 400-420gr

I figured with those specs, shooting the Reign 6 I'd be pushing that arrow around 300fps and if I got the Reign 7 I'd be pushing the same arrow in the mid 280's fps

pro's? cons?

Im aware the longer BH is more "forgiving" etc but, is a 1 inch difference going to make a diff? is a shorter BH "less accurate"?

Last edited by goosefreak; 04-04-2017 at 08:50 PM.
goosefreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2017, 09:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Do you like to hit your coat when shooting your bow when it's cold? I don't and that's one reason I would shoot a 7 inch over a 6 inch.

You can't tell 10 fps difference it's in your head. You can barely tell the difference in 10 fps on a sight tape if you compare them side by side.

An animal ain't going to know the difference in 10 fps.

In the end its up to you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
swbuckmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2017, 09:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

On a Vegas face my daughters best score with a 6 inch brace height bow with a 23 mm arrows was 299 22x. She shot very few 299s but it shot fast. Switched cams and limbs on that exact same bow and her best score went up to 300 26x in a few days. She shoots alot of 300 vegas scores with the new limbs and cams. What does this say if you were to put a broadhead on the tip? It means the ten to fifteen feet per second faster arrow is less forgiving at close distance. At further distance it's worse. The 10 fps difference in KE isn't anything. The added difference in accuracy does mean something.

You should see how good her bare shaft flies out to 80 yards.

goosefreak likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2017, 09:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like a toss up if both draw and shoot equally well. If that's the case, go with the faster flatter shooting one.
High Desert Elk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2017, 09:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

I appreciate your advice and I will consider it but, I don't believe 1 inch in BH difference is going to cause me to hit my coat. I think poor shooting posture would result in more frequent arm slaps.. that said, I have a standard that if I wear certain clothing I wear my half length camo arm guard anyways regardless of BH.. thanks though, really, I'll put that down in the list of cons when choosing!
Old 04-05-2017, 01:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Anytime I see the string hit the arm, I immediately know the draw is too long. As far as hitting the coat... I always wear an arm guard when shooting long sleeve or jackets to keep the clothing out of the way of the string.

I have learned that brace height has a lot to do with draw length. My wife and daughter both shoot 25 and 26 inch draws respectively. Both tried a 7 inch brace height bow and both could not shoot well. They switched to a 5.5 inch brace height and their accuracy improved dramatically. Why? Because the shorter draw allowed the string to come to mid arm instead of elbow due to the length of their arms. It just fit them better. Not sure if that makes sense on paper. Longer draws need higher brace height, shorter draws work well with lower brace heights. Has a lot to do with a persons anatomy. I am betting that at your draw length, the 6 inch will work well. Do the accuracy test to determine which works best for you and forget the speed factor. With the string stops that are on the bows now days, the bow string traveling past brace height isn't a factor anymore. I used to shoot a 6 inch brace height bow several years ago and the string would hit my watch as it traveled past brace height on the shot. (I have a 30 inch draw) I had to shoot without a watch. Didn't have that trouble with a 7 inch brace height bow. Now with the string stoppers on the bows, I can shoot any brace height and not have that problem. Probably the biggest factor in being able to shoot a shorter brace height well has to do with the geometry of modern compounds. With the parallel limb design, the bow doesn't "jump" like they used to of yesteryear. Bows sit "dead" in the hand on the shot, which aids greatly in reducing bow torque. Self imposed hand torque is something different and if that is your problem, you need to work on form.

I understand the theory that a bow is more forgiving for a longer brace because the arrow leaves the string sooner, but think about it a moment. The time it takes the bow string to travel 1 inch farther on a shorter brace height bow is so minimal that I doubt you could even measure it. Faster than a blink of an eye. In that very small amount of time, I have my doubts that torque would really be a factor. I believe the theory is correct, but the application is doubtful. I subscribe to the theory that brace height needs to be tied to draw length with modern compound bows.
AF CYN likes this.

Last edited by bow_dude; 04-05-2017 at 02:18 AM.
bow_dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2017, 08:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

I would go with the bow that you feel best about. a significant part of acuracy is the mental game in the end. if you are confident you will not get string slap with a coat ( you could take your coat to the shop and test it before you buy it ) then the choice of the 6 seems pretty clear to me.
AF CYN likes this.
kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2017, 09:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

There is truth to what bow_dude said. I shot an older model Bowtech (Extreme Solo) years ago that had either a 5.5 or 6 in brace height without a string stop. I hated shooting it because it was inevitable to always slap my wrist. It wasn't because of a draw length too long. The DL was 28 and I normally shoot 29 (which might even be a skosh too long...). The string stops today are a game changer.

Also makes sense about draw length matching up brace height.

Good advice right there...
High Desert Elk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2017, 10:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Does string hitting the arm mean the draw length is too long? No not in every case especially if you have near perfect form and are actually getting in the bow like your susposed to.

6" brace height bow, parallel limbs, string stop, perfect form and string touches her arm. At the end of the day she has a small red mark where the string touches. Her draw isn't long in fact it's near perfect.

AF CYN likes this.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

My experience with string slap is. Years ago when I bought my first bow, I was shooting a 7" BH and I would get string slap all the time, that's why I bought the arm guard that I still have today which I wear with "thicker" cloths. Saying that, i became more involved in my shooting and learned proper shooting form and tried mastering that form consistently, since then, I have never had a string slap issue again. That's not saying someone else who shoots with perfect form won't get string slap as I'm sure it happens.

Maybe another question would be in regards of my draw length in relation to brace height.
I'm 5'9" 180lbs and shoot a draw length or 27.5 inches. I like the string to sit on the tip of my nose. If I were to make a fist with my hand, the center of my hand would sit in the center of my ear when drawn back. I don't like going any farther then that because I feel like I'm over stitching my chest.

I hear shorther BH are good for shorter draw people so, what draw lengths would fit best with a 6" BH? And at what point does a 7" BH become "better"

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.