»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,651
Threads: 57,231
Welcome to our newest member, mack2017

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2017, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tell me about the Hoyt Carbon Matrix

I have an opportunity to buy a very lightly used Hoyt Carbon Matrix from a coworker who is selling it for his father-in-law for $500. Is this a good deal? I'm currently shooting a Diamond Outlaw. It is a serviceable tool that has served me well these past 4 years. The speed between the two bows is pretty much identical, but with a small edge going to the Outlaw so I know I wont be getting a benefit that way. I'm not a speed freak, anyway. Will I be getting a nice step up in terms of smoothness, forgiveness, quietness, shootability, etc., etc.?

I really like my Diamond Outlaw, but I know there are lots of other great options out there. What do you think? Is it worth making the switch?
colorcountrygunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2017, 11:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

The carbon bows are good in general. I have a carbon spyder, got it last years model but new for 600 bucks, well 700 with the DQA HDX rest. 500 bucks might be a bit steep but fair if it is in great shape. the RTK cam is a very efficent cam but does not have alot of valley. if you want a larger valley you will want to look for the z5 cam on the spiders ( amazing cam) my brother shoots the RTK cam though and it is solid.

as to is it worth making the switch, you would have to shoot them both and decide. both will get the job done, but the hoyt is a higher class bow.
kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2017, 12:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
KRH

As you mentioned the specs on those two bows are very similar. If you're shooting confidently with your current setup I'd just stick with it because this specific carbon bow isn't any lighter than the one you are carrying and has a 75% let off vs 80%.

If you're looking for a carbon bow in that 500-600 price range I'd check out any of the Bowtech's with the carbon knight riser (models: knight, overdrive, icon). Those will be a little over a half a pound lighter than what you're carrying and have slightly better speed ratings. The feel of these will also be more similar to your Diamond.

Just my $0.02, good luck
KRH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2017, 10:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

I think that matrix is far better than the carbon bows from bowtech. I really like the matrix. the few I have dealt with are very tunable and very nice to shoot. The handle on the bowtechs are a little chunky compared to the hoyt and shimming the bowtech can be an issue if you don't have some help. The yolks on the hoyt make it easier to tune.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.