Crossbows Illegal?

6K views 44 replies 12 participants last post by  jahan 
#1 ·
Why are they illegal in utah?

#27 ·
TEX-O-BOB said:
-_O-

Oh dammit you guys are funny!

Meen I really can't tell if you're trying to dazzle me with your brilliance, or baffle me with your bullsh*t. I guess with higher education a lot of both is involved.

"When I think back on all the CRAP I learned in High School, it's a wonder I can think at all"

"Although my lack of education hasn't hurt me none, I can read the writing on the wall"
Its called Physics Tex, no bull**** involved. :lol:

#28 ·
TEX-O-BOB said:
-_O-

Oh dammit you guys are funny!

Meen I really can't tell if you're trying to dazzle me with your brilliance, or baffle me with your bullsh*t. I guess with higher education a lot of both is involved.

"When I think back on all the CRAP I learned in High School, it's a wonder I can think at all"

"Although my lack of education hasn't hurt me none, I can read the writing on the wall"
Well I tried to think of something witty to say to this but nothing is coming to mind. So I guess I will respond to this by posing a question. Have you thought of using big heavy carbon arrows instead of your wood ones? The carbon arrows would store more of your bow's energy than the wood ones. :D

#29 ·
I have, and I've actually killed stuff with carbon arrows. :shock: I use them when I don't have time to make wood arrows. Or, when I go someplace where the temp/humidity levels are drastically changed from where I'm at now. If I were ever go hunt Alaska or Africa I'd be packin Carbon for sure. You say "shoot a big heavy carbon arrow" "heavy carbon arrow" is an oxymoron! Heavy? Compared to what? To make a carbon arrow heavy enough to work for me you gotta tweak it a little. 8) I use a foam impregnated carbon arrow. :wink: I've got a way to inject the carbon shaft with foam to add weight and stability. No, I don't screw around with all those miserable little weights and crap you can screw in the front and back. Most all carbons as they come from the factory are far too light for me. I need to be shooting at least 10 grains of arrow weight per pound of bow weight, I like 11 or 12 better. Example: I shoot a 590 grain carbon arrow out of my 55# recurve. 590 divided by 55 = 10.7 grains per pound. MY carbon arrows hit like a truck and absorb far more energy from my bow than a normal, hollow, wimpy carbon arrow. When I shoot wood out of that same bow they weigh closer to 650 grains. (11.8 grains per pound) So, when you say a carbon will store more of my bows energy... I beg to differ! And please don't bring the heat/friction argument up in here because I'll just role my eyes and ignore you. _(O)_

#30 ·
TEX-O-BOB said:
You say "shoot a big heavy carbon arrow" "heavy carbon arrow" is an oxymoron! Heavy? Compared to what?
Compared to my light carbon arrow. :D Your turtle bow needs a heavy arrow.

TEX-O-BOB said:
I've got a way to inject the carbon shaft with foam to add weight and stability.
And don't forget you improved the stiffness of an already stiff arrow. Don't overlook stiffness.

TEX-O-BOB said:
So, when you say a carbon will store more of my bows energy... I beg to differ! And please don't bring the heat/friction argument up in here because I'll just role my eyes and ignore you. _(O)_
:roll: I knew you would differ, that's why I said what I said. That's the beauty of our relationship.

More of a bow's energy will be transferred to a carbon arrow because of stiffness. The wood arrow loses more energy due to heating/vibrating the surrounding air molecules because of how much it flexes in flight. You can think of it as only a portion of the 55 lbs of force you put into your bow is being transferred to a wood arrow. Where nearly ALL of the 55 lbs of force goes into a carbon arrow because of the stiffness properties.

A 650 grain carbon arrow would be the shiznit. Maybe my christmas present to you this year will be wood arrow wrapped in carbon fiber. 8)

#32 ·
More of a bow's energy will be transferred to a carbon arrow because of stiffness. The wood arrow loses more energy due to heating/vibrating the surrounding air molecules because of how much it flexes in flight. You can think of it as only a portion of the 55 lbs of force you put into your bow is being transferred to a wood arrow. Where nearly ALL of the 55 lbs of force goes into a carbon arrow because of the stiffness properties.
Again, your point is MOOT. My carbons and my woods have the same "flex" in flight because they both spine out at exactly the same. If one was stiffer than the other, they wouldn't fly the same. :shock: They have to be spined the SAME to fly the SAME out of the SAME bow. (can you wrap your big fat educated brain around that concept) Spine is the single most important part of good arrow flight in traditional bows. When a carbon arrow company prints 35/65 spine on the side of their "traditional"shafts, as to infer that "these arrows will fly good for anyone shooting a recurve bow from 35# to 65#" I have to giggle. :lol: Trad bows are set up to shoot an exact spine/weight/brace height/ combo. It either flies good or it don't. You can't just "swag" arrow spine into a 35/65 group and tell people they'll work for everyone. It just don't work like that. That's why most folks end up fiddle-farting around with all those ridiculous screw in weights and such, they can't get the arrow to fly good. Now, before you make the argument that carbon fibers are stiffer than wood fibers let me first remind you to test those carbon fibers against ash and birch. You wanna talk stiff!

Keep thinkin and plotin school boy. This old dog's got a few old tricks up his sleeve. 8)

#33 ·
This exactly why I shoot with a RIFLE! I don't have to worry about kinetic energy or any of that other scientific sh*t. I know that my .270 will put a deer or antelope flat on its arse at 250 yards, with a 130 gr bullet.

Not much to argue with there, except that I'm in the archery section of the discussion forum.....O well. Your guys' banter is very entertaining. I don't really care who is wrong, or who is right.....It's funny. I'm just glad I'm not the one bein' blasted......Kick his arse, Darin!

#34 ·
TEX-O-BOB said:
Again, your point is MOOT. My carbons and my woods have the same "flex" in flight because they both spine out at exactly the same. If one was stiffer than the other, they wouldn't fly the same. :shock: They have to be spined the SAME to fly the SAME out of the SAME bow. (can you wrap your big fat educated brain around that concept) Spine is the single most important part of good arrow flight in traditional bows. When a carbon arrow company prints 35/65 spine on the side of their "traditional"shafts, as to infer that "these arrows will fly good for anyone shooting a recurve bow from 35# to 65#" I have to giggle. :lol: Trad bows are set up to shoot an exact spine/weight/brace height/ combo. It either flies good or it don't. You can't just "swag" arrow spine into a 35/65 group and tell people they'll work for everyone. It just don't work like that. That's why most folks end up fiddle-farting around with all those ridiculous screw in weights and such, they can't get the arrow to fly good. Now, before you make the argument that carbon fibers are stiffer than wood fibers let me first remind you to test those carbon fibers against ash and birch. You wanna talk stiff!

Keep thinkin and plotin school boy. This old dog's got a few old tricks up his sleeve. 8)
Sometimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks. So if you can't beat him, you might as well join him.

The advancement of arrows from wood to aluminum to carbon to carbon wrapped aluminum was all a BIG FAT SCAM to get archers to waste money. Traditional here I come.

#35 ·
duckhunter1096 said:
Your guys' banter is very entertaining. I don't really care who is wrong, or who is right.....It's funny. I'm just glad I'm not the one bein' blasted......Kick his arse, Darin!
Tex is just mad because I won the last argument we had over PM's. He never even responded to the last PM I sent him which as we all know is an admission of defeat. :wink:
Just kiddin darin... I only argue with you to get me through the work day.

#41 ·
fixed blade said:
I'll bet zim has a **** bow.
NOPE! he tried playing the "cripple" card because one of his fingers is slightly shorter than the other. Thought that qualified him to get a special "cripple" permit for one but the hazing he took from bwhntr and I wasn't worth it. He now shoots a man bow. Still has training wheels, but it's a man bow. And, he's killed with it!

#42 ·
TEX-O-BOB said:
[quote="fixed blade":29kmz7v8]I'll bet zim has a **** bow.
NOPE! he tried playing the "cripple" card and getting a permit for one but the hazing he took from bwhntr and I wasn't worth it. He now shoots a man bow. Still has training wheels, but it's a man bow. And, he's killed with it![/quote:29kmz7v8]

Man the filters really screwed with my post. It should have said bad arse cross bow, you know because cross bows are gay! :mrgreen:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.