> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,612
Threads: 57,043
Welcome to our newest member, TheoCleaner
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2014, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default BHA Reward

I love my ATV. It gives me more mobility, gets me around faster and saves a lot of wear and tear on my truck. Sure, I can hike. I do hike. My ATV just gets me to the trailhead.

But like you, I understand that I have responsibilities as an ATV operator just as I do when I drive my truck. Unfortunately, not everyone shares that understanding.

BHA is offering a reward up to $1000 for information that leads to the conviction of anyone abusing land or water open to public hunting or fishing. This reward is aimed at stopping lawbreakers who disturb public land, water and wildlife on motor vehicles such as ATVs. But any vehicle can be misused.

“Responsible riding means recognizing that there are some places our machines do not belong,” said BHA Conservation Director Holly Endersby.

Nobody needs a reward to motivate them to do what's right. But if you take time from your own time outdoors to deal with irresponsible individuals, you deserve some thanks.

Be safe, folks. Have a great season!
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers
Longgun and Gumbo like this.
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Great post. I hate hunting and seeing an illegal motorcycle, etc. I also own 2 atvs and love the family fun we have had using them.
goforbroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Around my parts, the vast majority of the abuse is Mt Bikers. They are cutting HUNDREDS of miles of roads through areas making new biking trails. It blows my mind how many trails can be seen from my house that have appeared in the past couple years. Motor vehicle abuse is the smallest fraction of the new trail creation I'm seeing. They litterally are cutting trees and digging trails with shovels, way way more impact to the land than a fat tired ATV cruising through.

Mt Bikers are becoming much more of an issue than ATVs. I was up AF Canyon yesterday in a remote but legal area on a motorcycle, there were mt bikers up there with new BATTERY ASSISTED MOTORS cruising up the roads at 30mph!!

-DallanC
DallanC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

I love my ATV too, but it's staying home this year during the archery hunt. We are hunting a backcountry area that is closed to OHV use. We were there yesterday scouting for the upcoming weekend hunt. The trail is rough and more suited for hikers and horseback, however there was a guy on a 4 wheeler that made his way to us. I explained to him that he was in a restricted travel area and he immediately thanked me and turned around and headed out. I don't know how he missed the signs at the trailhead but he did.
Fowlmouth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallanC View Post
Around my parts, the vast majority of the abuse is Mt Bikers. They are cutting HUNDREDS of miles of roads through areas making new biking trails. It blows my mind how many trails can be seen from my house that have appeared in the past couple years. Motor vehicle abuse is the smallest fraction of the new trail creation I'm seeing. They litterally are cutting trees and digging trails with shovels, way way more impact to the land than a fat tired ATV cruising through.

Mt Bikers are becoming much more of an issue than ATVs. I was up AF Canyon yesterday in a remote but legal area on a motorcycle, there were mt bikers up there with new BATTERY ASSISTED MOTORS cruising up the roads at 30mph!!

-DallanC
Ya and I love getting run off the trail by these guys,seems like they own it.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

The big problem with reporting someone on a ATV or motorcycle in a off limits area is what do you report. The reregistration stickers are too small to actually see the numbers on most of them and a little bit of mud smeared on them makes it impossible to see the numbers. You could always try to follow him to where he parked his truck but that may be miles away and if you report the wrong vehicle in a parking lot then what?

I have always said that the reregistration numbers need to be large enough to see at a distance, a lot like the numbers on a boat. Then you would be able to actually report something to the local authorities that would help.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Where are y'all talking about? I'd love to give the area a gander. I don't think the sound of a motor is as much a problem as tires on the ground, myself.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

I love to ride dirt bikes and have no issue with four wheelers/ATV's as long as they stay where they are allowed to be. In my scouting efforts this year, I have seen dirt bike tracks on a closed to ALL motorized vehicles trail. Whoever it is, has been in almost once each week for the past two months. I keep hoping to see this individual while I'm in there, but so far have struck out. It drives me crazy that this person is deliberately driving in on the trail, passing THREE different signs saying "NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES" clear as day. There are thousands of trails that allow bikes, motorcycles and other ATV's, but there are not nearly as many trails that allow foot traffic only. That is the reason I seek this type of trail out, is to get away from all of that other stuff. So to have somebody cheating, and riding a dirt bike into an area that is designed to stay foot traffic only, is ridiculous and very selfish. I hope to see who it is, as I will with no hesitation confront them and report them to the proper authorities. I wish I could say that this is not a very common problem, but it happens everywhere. I will be able to report with pictures and video as I always have cameras on the ready.
BMCBryce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2014, 03:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkem View Post
Ya and I love getting run off the trail by these guys,seems like they own it.
A stick through the spokes or a thin rope at hub level works wonders.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

I'm thinking those guys with the bikes need to get off the trails, maybe get some drones.

I don't have one of those ATV thingies, but I'm thinking of getting one when I get old and fat..........uh......nevermind

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.