> FAQ
» Stats
Members: 7,619
Threads: 45,446
Welcome to our newest member, K55C
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GaryFish

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kamas General Deer Rifle 2013

I have been up to kamas a few times since I found out that I drew this tag. I have been scouting as much as possible but I am turning up empty handed. I am feeling pretty discouraged and I admit that I need some guidance.

Can anyone help? Send me a PM and give me some pointers.

I am in pretty good shape and am willing to do the work and hike my tail off. I just need to know in which direction. I want to have a couple of drainages to hunt if the first one doesn't pan out. I was up there last fri and sat and did a lot of still hunting but we didn't jump a freaking thing!!

Someone plz help. Thx
utahhunter678 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I wouldn't worry too much right now. The stick flippers are chasing them all over. They'll behave differently in late October anyway. As long as you at least found some sign, then the deer are there. Be patient. As hot as it is, they are pretty nocturnal, and if they are out in the day, it will be in the trees.
Thank God I'm a Country Boy!"
GaryFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

I agree with Garyfish... They will be totally different animals in October. The crowds will also be all over as well. When they get pushed you will see more animals. When October comes around you will be looking for white buts and grey bodies...

I guess my question for you is.. Are you looking for a specific caliber of animal or will any legal buck do? My hunting tactics vary depending on what I am trying to accomplish. On another not I have been on the Kamas unit and seen bucks during the general season hunt and they are pretty common to come across.
Nambaster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm not looking for a trophy. Anything with legal headgear will do for my first buck. I got skinned last year and I want to scratch a tag this year. I got a late start with hunting at the age of 27. Any info helps and Thx for the time.
utahhunter678 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Also, (after just reading a 13 page thread about rifle hunters scouting in an area of an archery hunt) know that the archery hunt is going on right now. Guys are out on the trails, camo'd up, in tree stands, stalking animals, all that stuff. If you scout, I'd suggest doing it from a parking area with your binocs and spotting scope. That way you won't bust a buck or bull some guy is putting the sneak on. Give the stick flippers the mountain for a while and get the honey-do's done so you'll have that capital built up going in to the rifle hunt.
outdoorser likes this.
Thank God I'm a Country Boy!"
GaryFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.