»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 8,440
Threads: 46,501
Welcome to our newest member, RGlossop

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2008, 09:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pack goats

Ok, so Packfish, please expound on the pack goats. I have been looking at picking some up and would like to know anything and everything you know about them.

-Feed (beer cans and light bulbs I suppose)

-Shelter.

-Amount of weight you have packed on them.

-Pros/cons vs. horses.

-number of goats you have.

-Everything else I may have left out.

Sometimes horses are a pain and I'd like to have the option of throwing in the goat train on my smaller trailer.

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2008, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Pack goats

Feed: that's an old myth- goats are very intelligent and inquisitive and like to mouth stuff. Anyhting you are working with. And they will eat a plastic sack and it could kill them- but as far as food goes no.
I want a strong healthy animal- basically an athlete. Up to 2 years of age they get
a daily supplement of flaked corn or Corn oats and barley or beet pellets. But between my 3 goats during the cold months they go thru about a bale or so of hay a week.
The secret is the Calcium to Phosphorous ration- 2 to 1. You want wethered goats- no male stink and promotes growth. But the castration can cause problems, especially if done before 6 months of age. Basically Urinary stone and can kill or at least be a really ugly deal. You need to keep that above ratio pretty close to 2 to 1 and it helps. Too much protien and that throws it out of whack but you also want protien up to 2 years of age to promote that athletic growth. They will turn their noses up at food you would think would be like steaks to them at times. Part of the time I feed a pure grass hay and part I feed a hay with weeds and a little alfalfa in it- but not pure alfalfa.
Shelter: at least 3 sided shed out of the wind. I built a shed with a sloping roof to the back. I put a barn style door on the one side and a half door on the other. The half door is on the top half with rubber mats that hang to keep out the wind and rain but let air circulate. The mats can be folded up out of the way on nice winter days. They floor is 1/2 covered with a pallets so they are off the ground.
Weight- You really don't want any weight on the goats until 2 years of age. They grow to 4 years and top out and live for 15 or so. At 1 1 /2 years you can put the saddles on them to hike with but really not much weight in the panniers until 2- thier spine and bones are still growing. After 3 or so they can go with 1/4 thier body weight depending on how fit they are . At 2 mine were carrying 15#. Just like us old men if we don't keep in shape they aren't going far or carrying much. My goats are 180# plus- my buddy has one at 2 that's 200 plus. I would say with the shape they are in they could carry 50# but 40# a piece with 3 goats is more than I can use in a week.
Except for unloading and starting out- depending who is around I don't use a lead rope. There isn't a need to. If they are imprinted on you then you are the lead goat to them and they won't leave you. Raising them from a month on is the way to go, you can get an older goat which hopefully is imprinted on humans that could be trained as a pack goat but a goat raised by you will have a much higher percentage of being what you want. I do not high line or tether them at night though many do. They won't leave. They have never been more than 10 yards from the tent at night ever. A water spray bottle is your training tool. They will get into stuff- they are as smart as a dog and all have differnt personalities for sure. But a spray in the face with the spray bottle a couple of times and they won't ever do it again. They train pretty quickly.
They are enjoyable personable animals that sometimes amaze you because what they did took some type of thought process to do.. Once you get it down they are very easy to deal with. I started out with them in a 70 x 70 fenced area with no grass and had to feed daily. Because of them ( to a point ) I live on a pretty decent spread with a acre of pasture just for them now in a Paradise. I can honestly say that I don't think my wife and I would have taken that leap with out having them. I know with in a year I will be building a 40 x 40 metal garage with stalls on the side for them.

Ernest Hemingway
-
​​
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Packfish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2008, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks! Any leads on a seller?
Old 05-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugnhuntr
Thanks! Any leads on a seller?
For the velcro gloves?
Old 05-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Heard or started every goat joke out there and some are pretty **** funny.

The big 5 breeds to look for are- Sannen ( the big white goats) Lamancha's ( earless goats) Alpines ( usually the big black and white) Oberhasli and Toggenburgs.

The Boers are those big meat goats- too much muscle and no stamina- though a cross with Sannens or Alpines is OK. No Nubians- pretty lazy as a breed- though I don't know that from personal experience.

There is a guy that has a big dairy south of SLC that has Sannens and my buddy picked him up there. One is a beast of a boy. I will get his info for you.
I got an Alpine/Toggenburg off of KSL. The other 2 I drove to Boise for and probably didn't need to go that far but I don't reget it either.
Any goat can be trained to pack I am just giving you the best gudelines from what I have experienced. here is a video of the guy who really is like the God Father of today's goat packing- He guides into the Wind Rivers.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=00a_1178727223
No- don't click on the Fried Goat balls- well if you want to OK.

Ernest Hemingway
-
​​
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Packfish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2008, 02:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Excuse my ignorance on the subject, but you have peaked my interests. I am a horse owner and enjoy trail rides and overnighters. I noticed in the video these goats are not tied to anything they are just following someone. Is this the case? Do they just freeroam and follow you around?

Thanks.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah, he mentioned that in the first post. I'm definitely seeing some advantages to owning a few of these critters.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

FYI.......there is a guy in Tooele who rents goats. I thought it was an interesting way to get introduced to the concept. I have yet to take them hunting, but we did rent them to go backpacking and take both my family and my brothers. The boys carried there stuff and the goats handled most of the women and girls stuff. The only problem we ran into was one morning some hikers came through the camp and kept on going up the trail--and the goats (who we didn't tie up) just got in line and followed behind them. We realized the mistake and had to go run down the goats.
tweedmadsen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2008, 04:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

http://www.highuintapackgoats.com/
tweedmadsen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2008, 04:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Can goats go in no dog areas?
EPEK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.