»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,612
Threads: 57,043
Welcome to our newest member, TheoCleaner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Big Coyotes feeding on Big Game in Diamond Fork

Local rancher flying to locate his cows reports seeing a large black Big Coyote and a smaller lighter colored Big Coyote. DWR officials have been notified and were reported on seen today investigating reports and observation of tracks in the Diamond Fork Canyon. Since last November reports have been trickling in about reported sightings of Big Coyotes in this area.

Attached is a picture taken today of what is believed to be Big Coyote tracks taken by a water agency employee taking water samples in Diamond Fork. The picture shows only a small number of tracks that are found in the area and it presumed that a pack has been established in the Diamond Fork area.

Just passing on information from credible sources to inquiring minds on the UWF.
Big
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wolfDIfrksml.JPG
Views:	1863
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	8220  
bigbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Big Coyotes feeding on Big Game in Diamond Fork

Yup, That's a big 'dog' track alright....

The elk have changed their patterns dramatically on Strawberry ridge area over
the past 2 years or so,,,,,,,,,,coincidence?.......

That was one of my favorite spot to guide elk for many years,,sad to see this happening.

- Winston Churchill

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and awhile
goofy elk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

The sad part is that thos Big Coyotes are outside of the delisted zone. There is no justification for any type of killing. With numerous reports over the past year or so and now a credible source reporting them, there will be no opportunity for the SSS crowd. Too many eyes will be on the mountain. It's a sad thing that's happening.
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Could they be hound tracks by chance? A lot of guys run hounds up there this time of year, though Big Coyotes in the area wouldn't surprise me.

I try to get up in that area a few times a winter to try and put a dent in the coyotes up there. You would be amazed in the amount of dogs up there and how many deer carcasses you come across that have met their demise by them. The last thing we need is woofs up there adding to the carnage.

With the amount of big game that winter in the area, I would hope the DWR would be doing some of their own predator control up there, anyone know of any?
Old 01-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm glad I finally know why all the elk are disappearing from Diamond Fork. This is bad news for sure. Hopefully the DWR takes some sort of action quickly.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

uh oh...... you posted this in the big game section, when this doesnt have anything to do with big game! it should have gone in "other kinds of animals". Peterson is gonna be pissed at you
shaun larsen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

This is a MAJOR issue affecting elk.....

There's no BS about it.........

The elk on Teat mountain, Billies, Tie Fork, and ALL the Waters has scattered
from hell to breakfast and are no where to be found.
This is a HUGE big game topic...

I would love to hear Airborns take on this as I know hes been there hunting cows
this year,,,,and has done so in the past as some of the rest of us.

- Winston Churchill

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and awhile
goofy elk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

Wait a minute. A few wolf sightings and they are to blame for you seeing a few less elk on your outing.

1. Every time I go out I see different amounts of deer and elk. So maybe you just aren't looking hard enough.

2. Weather! With last winters harsh snows coupled with this yrs light snows. Maybe they just aren't where they normally are.

3. Road kill! I seen 2 dead elk on my drive over to vernal the other day. Man hwy 40 sure takes a toll on them critters.

4. Habitat! What we seen during the 90S and turn of the century was a perfect storm for elk. Yrs of under grazing and abundant deer populations made conditions perfect for an elk explosion. Elk populations up there were unnatural and unsustainable.

5. Food! There is no feed left for elk. They have eaten all the young aspen leaving old unproductive aspen that has little nutritional value for elk.

6. I've learned over the yrs. If I choose to I can chalk wolf predation as compensatory. Then the elk aren't a problem. Its that easy.

7. If your not seeing lots of elk. Its because you aren't far enough from the road. Get off the road and you will see the elk herd is looking good.

8. If your worried about a decrease in the elk herd. Your probably a trophy hunter. Well you quest for inches is screwing it up for the "average Joe".

9. Probably all the ATV activity in the area causing all the cows to drop early and killing all the calf's.

10. Cabins?

Not to worry. If we pour 100s of millions into habitat restoration and road fencing. And with a lot of help from mother nature. We may see a slight increase in the elk herd but not like it was back in the day. Those days are gone forever.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

That group of coyotes has been up there every winter for the past five years. About five years ago we cut there tracks a couple times during the winter, and now we cut them every time we go up there. The DWR is well aware that they are there, they have trail cameras all over up there trying to get pictures of them. When I talked to the guy last they were trying to get some flying time to go up and locate them and determine how many there are. Not sure there is anything they can do about them though casue they are still listed south of 1-80.
ARROWHNTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Bear
Wait a minute. A few wolf sightings and they are to blame for you seeing a few less elk on your outing.

1. Every time I go out I see different amounts of deer and elk. So maybe you just aren't looking hard enough.

2. Weather! With last winters harsh snows coupled with this yrs light snows. Maybe they just aren't where they normally are.

3. Road kill! I seen 2 dead elk on my drive over to vernal the other day. Man hwy 40 sure takes a toll on them critters.

4. Habitat! What we seen during the 90S and turn of the century was a perfect storm for elk. Yrs of under grazing and abundant deer populations made conditions perfect for an elk explosion. Elk populations up there were unnatural and unsustainable.

5. Food! There is no feed left for elk. They have eaten all the young aspen leaving old unproductive aspen that has little nutritional value for elk.

6. I've learned over the yrs. If I choose to I can chalk wolf predation as compensatory. Then the elk aren't a problem. Its that easy.

7. If your not seeing lots of elk. Its because you aren't far enough from the road. Get off the road and you will see the elk herd is looking good.

8. If your worried about a decrease in the elk herd. Your probably a trophy hunter. Well you quest for inches is screwing it up for the "average Joe".

9. Probably all the ATV activity in the area causing all the cows to drop early and killing all the calf's.

10. Cabins?

Not to worry. If we pour 100s of millions into habitat restoration and road fencing. And with a lot of help from mother nature. We may see a slight increase in the elk herd but not like it was back in the day. Those days are gone forever.

IB,

I love you man.....
You should have been a lawyer!

Big
bigbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.