»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 8,807
Threads: 46,991
Welcome to our newest member, EQac

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default wasatch bulls off the mountain

as i am working here in heber/little logan(this town is getting crowded) .i can not help but notice the bulls coming down the canyon in the back of trucks. they are all small bulls. i have seen 10 bulls in the back of trucks and not one over a 330 bull.now i am not knocking it at all. but has the quality of bulls dropped that much on the unit.
hazmat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: wasatch bulls off the mountain

You give out 700 tags and I doubt there are 700 350 bulls out there. Shame. A good unit. They should move rifle till after Muzzleloader and they could keep tag numbers high (opportunity) with more bulls living to maturity.
goforbroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforbroke
You give out 700 tags and I doubt there are 700 350 bulls out there. Shame. A good unit. They should move rifle till after Muzzleloader and they could keep tag numbers high (opportunity) with more bulls living to maturity.

i like the idea of the wasatch being a high oppurtunity unit(they took it to far this year though).i think some of these bulls are the case of some people getting a little trigger happy.i seen one bull at the arbys and i am not kidding he was a 4x5.but as long as the guy had a great experiance and got good memories out of it.you can not tell him it is not a trophy.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

It is not my intention to P!$$ anyone off. I am just speaking my mind (that still isn't illegal).

I think that 330 to 350 bulls need to be viewed for what they really are, mature trophy bulls! Expecting every unit to produce the 380 to 400+ that have been pushed into our heads by... you know who they are, is ridiculous. Since when did a 350 bull become a small thing? I fail to understand why we expect so much out of every unit.

As hunters we should be more concerned with the health of our herds and the management thereof than with how big we grow antlers. Having 10 bull scoring 400+ doesn't do anyone any good if that is all we have. We currently have a few more elk in the state than the management objective. We should really be looking at keeping it that way and also focusing on having them managed in a better way. If inches are all we are worried about I believe we are headed down the wrong path.

Now, the Wasatch unit I don't think I personally would call it a trophy unit. I do know there are some very big bulls on the unit and there probably always will be. However, they are few and far between and I think the Wasatch should be viewed by us hunters as an opportunity unit more than a trophy unit. Based on the elk I have seen there over the years a I would call a 380 an absolute monster. Have there ever been any bulls pulled of the Wasatch that flirt with the 400 mark?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHunter
It is not my intention to P!$$ anyone off. I am just speaking my mind (that still isn't illegal).

I think that 330 to 350 bulls need to be viewed for what they really are, mature trophy bulls! Expecting every unit to produce the 380 to 400+ that have been pushed into our heads by... you know who they are, is ridiculous. Since when did a 350 bull become a small thing? I fail to understand why we expect so much out of every unit.

As hunters we should be more concerned with the health of our herds and the management thereof than with how big we grow antlers. Having 10 bull scoring 400+ doesn't do anyone any good if that is all we have. We currently have a few more elk in the state than the management objective. We should really be looking at keeping it that way and also focusing on having them managed in a better way. If inches are all we are worried about I believe we are headed down the wrong path.

Now, the Wasatch unit I don't think I personally would call it a trophy unit. I do know there are some very big bulls on the unit and there probably always will be. However, they are few and far between and I think the Wasatch should be viewed by us hunters as an opportunity unit more than a trophy unit. Based on the elk I have seen there over the years a I would call a 380 an absolute monster. Have there ever been any bulls pulled of the Wasatch that flirt with the 400 mark?
very well put.and i live 30 minutes from the unit and i know if i want a good chance to go after some 380 bulls than this is not the unit to apply for.that is what the san juan and pahvant are for.and i am perfectly fine with that.some of these bulls i am seeing in the back of trucks though are skinnier (no mass) than some bulls i see on the open bulls units.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

There have been multiple 390-410 bulls killed off the Wasatch. Every year there are a few bulls in that caliber.
Igottabigone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

There have been numerous 400" + bulls killed on the wasatch. There have been some great bulls killed this year.

Majority of the bulls are gonna be low 300" bulls because overall the wasatch has crappy genetics. A lot of mature wasatch bulls will never break 320", but there's always a freak big bull or two.

Hunters have to sort through a ton of 300-330 bulls on the wasatch to find better, and most guys dont have the time or discipline to do so.
Mrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2011, 03:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

I saw a lot of bulls. Lots of young 6 points, most around 300. My father shot a nice 5x6, and my uncle shot a real nice 6 point opening morning. I saw 2 bulls that would go over 350, one of which I shot. Scored him just under 370. I am not sure how to post pictures. Once I figure it out I will post them.
brettb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2011, 06:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrad
Hunters have to sort through a ton of 300-330 bulls on the wasatch to find better, and most guys dont have the time or discipline to do so.
That is the way it should be. There should be good quality bulls with a few 380+. I shot a 350 bull on the wasatch this year and I couldn't be happier. Most hunters are more than thrilled with a respectable bull even if it doesn't have the magical score. Let the inches guys hunt SJ or Pahvant, I think the wasatch is great. We saw 12 bulls in the first 1.5 days of our hunt and killed 2 nice bulls that both our hunters were happy with. That is all that matters.
Sure you could cut the tags back and kill a lot less bulls and the average size would increase, but would it be worth the sacrifice? I don't think so.
awbmab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Location: Where the buffalo roam...and the deer and the antelope play!

SO..............Just like Tex always says......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uselessthread.jpg
Views:	745
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	6893  

WWW.COWBOYCREEKTAXIDERMY.BLOGSPOT.COM
Bowdacious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.