»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,562
Threads: 56,879
Welcome to our newest member, Terk

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Another question about the draws

My brother-in-law lives in Vegas and he and his buddy want to come up here and bow hunt this year (mainly since they can't draw tags in Nevada). Now they each have a preference point, but since they want to draw an archery tag that is still going to be a state wide hunt do they have to use the preference point? Can they save their point for next year when it's going to be alot harder to get a tag? I know drawing an archery tag is no guarantee, but I think they have a pretty good chance at drawing without the point.

I guess I just hate to see them use their point to get an archery tag and then miss it next year when you willmost likely need a point or two to hunt.
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Another question about the draws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkoholic8
My brother-in-law lives in Vegas and he and his buddy want to come up here and bow hunt this year (mainly since they can't draw tags in Nevada). Now they each have a preference point, but since they want to draw an archery tag that is still going to be a state wide hunt do they have to use the preference point? Can they save their point for next year when it's going to be alot harder to get a tag? I know drawing an archery tag is no guarantee, but I think they have a pretty good chance at drawing without the point.

I guess I just hate to see them use their point to get an archery tag and then miss it next year when you willmost likely need a point or two to hunt.
I'm assuming you're talking about deer, in which case, they have several choices, but, unfortunately, none of them are what they're looking for!

1- Apply for this year's archery tag via the draw and use their points. (This would be my choice.)
2- Apply for a LE/CWMU archery tag and hope they're super lucky.
3- Forget the hunt this year and buy a preference point.
4- Forget the draw and hope there will be some left-over archery tags. Good luck on this option!!!
5- Forget the archery deer hunt and buy an archery elk tag over the counter.
6- Buy an expensive tag from a CWMU, landowner or tribe.
7- Apply for a Conservation Permit at an Expo.
8- Buy, or win as a door prize, a Conservation Permit at an NRA/SFW/MDF/RMEF dinner/auction.
9- Apply for an antlerless deer tag.
10- Buy a depredation, probably antlerless, tag.

BTW, I suspect they may not need points next year if Option #2 goes through and they are willing to hunt choices #2, #3, #4. 'cause no one knows yet which units are going to generate the best/worst odds. And if Option #2 gets shut down they'll likely not need points to draw archery tags.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Another option is they can apply for a Southern Rifle tag as their first choice and hope they don't draw. They will build a point and then they can have gen. archery as their second choice. I would assume there would be enough archery tags to go to second choice applicants but who knows.
byuduckhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

In 2010 quite a few archers went without a tag thinking that they could draw it on the second choice hunt
Old 01-28-2011, 07:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys. Last year they put in for a southern rifle tag and got their preference point. I told them not to worry about putting archery as the second choice because they always have left over tags available. OOPS!! I guess I was wrong there! That is why I asked about this year. I might try and get them to try southern rifle again this year with the archery as second choice, but I think they might just have to put in for archery as the first option. Neither one of them has hunted in the last 3 years and they are very determined to hunt this year.
I kinda think there will be more archery tags available this year since the rifle hunt is back to 9 days, but that is just a hunch.

Elkfromabove, I too hope that we never see option 2 implemented and we can go back to getting over the counter archery tags. Guess we'll see.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.