> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,598
Threads: 56,997
Welcome to our newest member, TurkeyThug
Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2017, 01:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default The longest wait...passing the time.

It seems to me that the days between the end of application period and the release of draw results are some of the slowest days of the year for me.

How are you all passing the time this year?

Personally, I'm back into the reloading game and preparing for at least weekly trips to the range for load development. I like to do mine in the spring while temps are just right and the range isn't too crowded. I don't reload much in the winter because I cannot test the loads and the heater in my garage blows on my powder scale which frustrates the heck out of me.

I'm also beginning a personal training regimen to better my physical condition and to prepare myself for summer scouting and fall hunting trips...been far too long!

In May I have a Turkey tag that needs filled so that'll help quench my craving for killin' as well.

I've pretty much got my yard work done, man cave completed and "Honey-Do's" all caught up so I'm just working on keeping my mind occupied and not thinking about draw results as much as possible.
cedar and 7MM RELOADED like this.

Last edited by KineKilla; 04-12-2017 at 01:14 PM.
KineKilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2017, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

just been working on the duck boat and staying busy in meeting for helping with banquets. June cant get here fast enough so i can go scout and shoot the muzzloader
dkhntrdstn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

As time goes on I think about the draw results less and less... I have too much crap to do every spring that keeps me busy.

-DallanC
swbuckmaster and Catherder like this.
DallanC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2017, 03:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

I hadn't thought about it too much until today...

I got word from a buddy down in NM and he drew both deer and elk there.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't think about it much, but I will reiterate how stupid it is that Utah has such a long time between application period and the actual draw. This year has bothered me more, because I'm scheduling a family vacation in September of this year. The week I would prefer to do it is the end of the early rifle hunt. I'm not in the bonus pool for the tag I applied for, and my odds are very low of drawing, but there still is that outside chance.

If I draw, I will do the family vacation the following week, but it is not ideal for various reasons, so I don't want to just book it now as my chances of drawing are slim. So I'll wait another month to book my vacation, hoping prices for flight/hotel, etc do not go up. I know...first world problems. I still think it's absolutely ridiculous it takes as long as it does in Utah. This year just gave me another reason to hate it.
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm in the same boat as DC.....too busy to really worry about it. When I do think about it, I remember that I already have 4 tags in the safe so it's gonna be a great year regardless of the UT lottery.-------SS
longbow likes this.
Springville Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 07:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

It helps to have other draws to think about and plan for. I applied in Colorado, Montana, and Nevada already and I still have to make my final decisions for the Wyoming draw. I'm hoping Utah will get back to me before the Wyoming deadline. I'm also working on my antlerless strategy.

I'm not too worked up about it this year. I'm not expecting any luck this year (I think I'm probably at less than a 1% chance of drawing, excluding antlerless), and school keeps me hopping. All I'm really worried about is keeping enough $$$ on the card in case Nevada or Montana want to make my day.
cedar likes this.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

I really haven't thought about it very much. Now that's it's been brought up- I'm stoked that the anticipation on credit charges are only a month away.

I can't wait for the cc hits thread!
katorade and Slayer like this.
3arabians is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 08:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well, lucky for you all having stuff to keep you occupied. Unfortunately, hunting and October is all I think about.

I have projects and stuff to do but hunting is always there in my mind.
KineKilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 08:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KineKilla View Post
Well, lucky for you all having stuff to keep you occupied. Unfortunately, hunting and October is all I think about.

I have projects and stuff to do but hunting is always there in my mind.
I'm with ya there. A lot of years I can't stop thinking about May when the results come out. But this year I'm pretty comfortable with what I will be doing. General season deer is pretty much a sure thing with 2 points. I'm in year 4 of my 5 year wait for LE elk. No where close on my OIL moose 11 points. Slim on LE deer with 3 points.

Pretty sure it's general deer and elk for me this year which I can't wait for but no real reason to be hoping for much in the draw so not giving it much thought.

I always get really jacked up for the antlerless elk draw - points or not. Thankfully that's a much shorter wait for results.
3arabians is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.