> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,598
Threads: 56,997
Welcome to our newest member, TurkeyThug
Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2017, 06:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

2007:
At this point, I had now met and hunted with all of the current members of the “wolfpack”. This year, Corby and Tom were going to do archery only and John renewed his dedicated hunter. Paul decided not to get a tag for 2007 because he had gone back to school full time in Idaho and I was building a new home during the spring of 2007.Hoping to save money and time spent on service projects, I decided not to renew my dedicated hunter tag. I put in for the same region that John did hoping to hunt together.Unfortunately, I didn’t get my first choice and ended up with a muzzleloader tag in a different unit as John. I had hunted solo on occasion in the past and was ready to do it again but on Aug. 9th, the unthinkable happened. I was up on one of the higher Wasatch Front peaks with Tom looking for a big 4 point Corby and he had seen scouting the week before. We were hoping to get some video of the buck.We were able to find the buck right at dark and as we were just heading off the mountain, I stepped in a hole and severely sprained my ankle. That was a rough three mile hike out. It seems like I got home around 1:00am and was back at work the next morning. A few weeks later, I put the UWN forum to good use and asked for someone to hunt with me. With my ankle in such bad shape, my wife didn’t want me hunting alone. A forum member named Noel came forward to go hunting with me. He was in the dedicated hunter program for the same region we were hunting. After giving him some directions about the areas I had scouted, he did some scouting of his own while I tried to heal up asap. Noel was able to locate some of the good bucks that I had seen before and we ended up meeting the day before the opener. Unfortunately, Noel’s muzzleloader broke the day before and it would take a week to get a new part in. So he brought his bow along, since we were hunting in part of the extended archery area.That way he could still hunt.We agreed that I would give him first crack at anything we saw but if he missed or the buck was out of range, then I would take the shot.
Here’s a link to my opening week events: http://muleymadness.com/forum/viewto...p=38782#p38782
On my last day to hunt, I came back with Tom and another forum member (Kelly) that was willing to help me out. I passed on a few smaller bucks that day but was really hoping for a last second chance at those bigger bucks I saw on opening day but no such luck. We all ate tag soup again in 2007.
bowhunt3r4l1f3 and cedar like this.

Last edited by ridgetop; 04-09-2017 at 10:29 PM.
ridgetop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2017, 10:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

2008:
It’s been five years since I started hunting with Paul, then Tom and lastly Corby. I had already hunted a few different times with my cousin John during the late 90s. Paul, Tom, Corby and I all drew our dedicated hunter tags for the same unit as John. John was in his second year of the program. I had a few honey holes that I was excited to share with the group. Here’s a link to a recap of our summer scouting trips.
Link: http://muleymadness.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6562&p=56411#p56411
During the archery opener Tom, Corby, Paul and I hunted the same area but Tom and Corby camped about a mile away on the other side of a big basin from me and Paul, the same area where I had sprained my ankle the year before. The big four point was back and Tom had some good trail camera pictures of it. We got pounded by a big snow thunder storm where the lightning was actually striking below us by a few hundred feet. We could hear the lightning crackle through the snow storm. Very scary! Paul and I made a fire to keep warm and while we were drying out from about 4” of new snow, a curious small 3 point buck walked up to about 40 yards of us and our fire. My tent had collapsed under the snow and I had to dry out my sleeping bag in the last hour of light. Lucky there was some sun shining out from the clouds. The second day I spotted the big 4 point across the basin but we couldn’t get hold of Tom and Corby, so Paul made a move on the big buck but it didn’t work out.
The next week, Paul, Tom and Corby went to the same location I scouted with Tom and Corby in July. They planned on a 3 day trip. My oldest daughter and I joined them on the second day to help spot. It was unseasonably cold and my daughter should have worn more than tennis shoes and cotton socks. Luckily Paul had some hand warmers and we put them in her shoes near her toes. Tom just missed a 40 yard shot on a big 3 point. That was the only action the group got on that trip. John was hunting with his in-laws and family in another region with no luck either.
The muzzleloader season was spent hunting the same area as where our group had hunted during the second weekend of the archery hunt. Corby, John, John’s friend and I hiked in the night before. We brought a filter and empty milk jugs and filtered water from a spring about a ½ mile from our camp spot. I remember John’s and his friend’s packs being twice as big as mine and Corby’s.
Opening morning we split up, Corby and I were together when we saw a lynx. We are both were sure it wasn’t a bobcat. John spotted a really big buck but didn’t get a good look at it and we could not relocate it. We had a lot of elk rutting and bugling all around us. In fact they kept me up most the night. We ended up seeing about 15-20 bucks between us but nobody was able to get a shot off. Far less bucks than what we had seen during the summer. Maybe the archery and LE elk hunters pushed them around and into hiding.
The week before the rifle hunt, I video taped a nice long tined 22-23” wide buck in the same area I had first scouted in June with no luck. The day before the opener, a guy from the UWN forum contacted me and wanted to go scouting that morning. He said he knew the area well. Although he told me that the specific area was no good and he had never seen any good bucks in that area. We agreed to meet two hours before light but he was a no show. I waited until it was just starting to get light and then headed up the mountain alone. I later found out that the guy stood me up on purpose, so I would lose the prime scouting hours and hopefully not see any bucks to go after. I still ended up seeing about 25 bucks that morning, including the same long tined buck from the week before. Tom, Corby and Paul were all up for going after that buck on opening morning. Corby ended up shooting the buck at the top of a very steep bowl. After the buck went down, it commenced to roll about another 200 feet. It was luck not to break off any of its antlers. I don’t ever remember seeing someone so excited as was Corby that day. He was a giddy as a kid at Christmas morning opening gifts. He was truly overwhelmed with joy. On the pack out, I injured my knee which I had already tweaked the day before but it was really hurting at that point. The guys took most my load to help me out. Corby bought all of us lunch when we got back to the closest town. We saw a lot of does in another area but no bucks within range. Corby and I went to another canyon around mid-week but only saw a couple hundred does and a couple small bucks.John spent the rifle hunt with his dad and brother but didn’t get anything either. During the extended, we saw some really nice bucks and Tom missed a 170” class buck at 16 yards. He must have got a little buck fever. In the end, Corby was the only one to tag a buck in 2008 but it was a great year and a start of some great hunts to come with this new group of friends.
Here’s the group with Corby’s opening day buck:
And video footage of his buck from the week before:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 Group with Corby's rifle buck - Copy.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	109105  
bowhunt3r4l1f3 and cedar like this.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:30 AM   #13 (permalink)

2009:
This was probably the most disappointing season on several different levels. Tom was lucky enough to draw a Lone Peak Mountain Goat tag. He was hoping that I could go scouting and help out on his hunt but a combination of my knee still giving me problems and that I was forced to landscape my front yard or be fined by my HOA. I also had to build a barn for two horses that my wife had acquired. I felt really bad about not helping out and have really regretted not trying harder in some way.John and my uncle drew Vernon muzzleloader tags and ended up getting their bucks opening morning. Tom ended up getting a nice billy with his bow. I don’t have any memory of the archery hunt but nobody got anything. I heard that Corby had missed a nice non-typical with his bow. I only got out scouting a couple times all summer and didn’t see much and spent one night and day on the Vernon scouting with John. We saw some really nice bucks. Paul, his brother (Scott) and I hunted together on the muzzleloader deer opener. We camped in my camp trailer and then drove a couple miles to the trailhead a couple hours before light. We arrived at a small basin right at first light, only to see another hunter there in the spot we wanted to hunt. We spotted several bucks in this basin but decided to move up higher to not mess up this other guy. We watched another beautiful basin all day but could not pick up any bucks at all, just a lot of other hunters. Back at the trailhead, I talked to a guy that had seen three big bucks ( all over 28” wide), go over the top of anther mountain. So a couple days later, Corby and I found a trail that lead up into a remote canyon on the backside of that mountain that the other hunter had talked about. We ended up seeing around 30 small yearling and 2.5 yr. old bucks that day but no sign of any older bucks. I spent two more days hunting that area with no luck finding a big buck. Tom bypassed the muzzy hunt because he was focusing on his goat hunt and wanted to save he time for that hunt. It was awesome to see how much time Corby spent with Tom that summer scouting for goats and was with Tom almost every day of Tom’s mountain goat hunt, which was several days and weeks. Corby also was there to help Tom pack out his goat the day he got it. During the rifle hunt, Tom, Corby and I hunted the same area as we did in 2008 but a little higher on the mountain. Paul missed opening day because of work and John was spending time with his immediate family. Within the first couple hours on the opener, Corby scored on a nice 4x4. He called me on the radio to let me and Tom know that a buck was down. I instantly started in his direction to help his take care of it and get it off the mountain, my day was done. It was a fun pack out with the three of us helping carry the load.They definitely carried more of it than I did. The following Friday, I met up with Paul and his brother and we tried a new area, which didn’t produce like I’d hoped. I thought we could catch a few migrating bucks but we were not in a migration zone. That’s the problem of not knowing an area very well. The next day, we went back to the area Corby had killed his last two bucks but we only turned up a few does. So Corby was the only one to tag a buck again.

Pictured is me and Corby with his buck. I wished we could have done a group photo with Tom in it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Corby's 2009 rifle buck - Copy.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	109297  

Last edited by ridgetop; 04-23-2017 at 08:38 AM.
ridgetop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2017, 08:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

2010:
This was the year that things finally came together for the whole group. All the time scouting and getting to know how each of us do things. I would be the next in line to draw a OIL tag from our group. I drew the first ever Stansbury Bighorn sheep tag. You can read about it and our whole season at:
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID50/22.html
It was awesome to get so much help from friends, family and complete strangers. Which some of those strangers became good friends. Tom, Paul, Corby and John spent countless hours helping me out.
I’d like to talk a little how we helped each other during 2010.
Tom was mainly my camera man but I did get good footage from the other guys too. Tom probably put more miles on the ground than anyone else in our group and he was right there by my side when I killed my ram.I was able to repay him by helping his son have a great backcountry experience on the muzzy deer hunt. I was able to help Tom pack out his rifle buck, which he, Corby and I had to wait out a big snow storm the rolled in earlier that day.
Paul spent several vacation and days off scouting and hunting with me on my sheep hunt. Several days, he packed my rifle, while I was packing my muzzleloader. Just in case I got a shot inside of 150 yards. I was lucky enough to repay him a little by locating a nice 4x5 buck on the muzzy hunt and after about a 5 hour stalk, we then had to pack it up about 800’ vertical.
Corby, although he had to sit out the deer hunt because he had already killed two bucks in his first two years of dedicated. He still came with us on the muzzy and rifle hunts and helped pack out Toms buck and their camp. Corby also spent a couple days packing my rifle for me for up to 5 miles at a time and several thousand feet elevation changes. He was there spotting the morning I killed my ram and that was even after he had just got off working all night.
John also spent a lot of time with me in the field and help pack in water for our backcountry camp. John was also up on the mountain with me the day I shot my ram and helped pack it out. On the muzzy deer hunt, John had a chance at shooting a huge 28”+ three point but instead handed his gun to Tom son Ethan, hoping the Ethan could get the buck because Ethan had just shot at and missed a smaller four point, then the big three point came running out into the open at about 50 yards but Ethan slipped on a rock and couldn’t get a shot off. That was a huge sacrifice for John because I knew he really wanted to kill that buck.
With all the selfless acts I witnessed during that hunting season, I was sure grateful to be hunting with such a great group of guys. I had no idea that this would be the beginning of some incredibly successful years to come.
Picture #1, is of Me, Paul and John with
Paul's muzzleloader buck.

Picture #2, is of the group of guys that helped me out the most, except
Paul, he had to work that day.

Picture #3, is of Me, Corby and Tom with Tom's rifle buck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2010 Group with Paul's muzzy buck.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	400.9 KB
ID:	109490   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Group with my ram.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	109498   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Group with Tom's rifle buck.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	109506  
Old 05-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #15 (permalink)

2011:
This was the first year that I really started to get into using trail cameras but didn’t have too much success. As a group, we were determined to find that big three point that had eluded us the year before. We also had hopes in finding some other good bucks we had seen the year before. For the second year in a row, I had found a cool little cactus buck that had 12 to 15 points per side but I lost track of it while putting a stalk on it for the second year in a row.The biggest buck I had seen scouting was a couple miles away from our backcountry camp and I didn’t go looking for it until later in the season, which I couldn’t locate. I wished I had spent more time looking for that buck because I was guessing it’s 4x5 frame to be at least 180”+. Corby ended up killing the big 3 point we were after on the second day of the rifle hunt but it had regressed from the year before, which was somewhat disappointing. I had found its shed antlers from two years earlier and thought it would be fitting to give them to Corby. Corby was able to get a group picture of everyone but me with his buck that day but I happened to be looking in a different area a couple miles away. Again, Corby was the only one to kill a buck in 2011.
Here’s a picture of Corby’s buck and it's sheds.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011 Corby's buck.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	110202  
Old 05-07-2017, 09:54 AM   #16 (permalink)

This thread has gone on too long, so I'll quickly wrap it up. It probably didn't come across the way I had hoped when I started it but here's the final chapter.

2012:
This year meant more changes for the group. The DWR had changes the 5 regions into 30 sub-units. We had to decide what unit we wanted to hunt for the following year or two. We could no longer change units from year to year. Since we had hunted several of the sub-units in the past couple years, it was a really tough choice to make. We decided to go with a unit that had been closed or limited to the general public but now was going to be opened back up.Anticipation for the coming hunt was high. This would be the first year that as a group we would spread out scouting and hunting multiple different areas within the sub-unit we had picked. We found several 180”+ bucks and ended up going 7 for 7, all 3 point or better bucks but Corby was the big buck winner again. He ended up killing a 226”, 10x9 buck on the last day. Tom also drew another OIL tag, this time it was a moose. He ended up killing a top 20 archery bull, which it took Tom, Corby, Paul and I all night long to pack out all the quarters. What an adventure that was.
Paul ended up killing a nice 5 point bull elk with his bow but I wasn’t able to be there to share in his success. It was quite the dream season in 2012 but little did we know what was yet to transpire in the coming years.
2013: It was Paul’s turn to draw a OIL bull moose tag. He ended up getting a really cool looking bull with him bow but I was unable to be there with him, Tom and Corby on that adventure. This was the year that I found out how truly remarkable these guys I hunted with were.They had found an awesome 35” wide non-typical the week before the rifle season . He was able to turn it up again the night before the opener. Tom had a chance at taking a quick off hand shot at the buck opening morning up passed on the chance on wounding it. The next day we decided to go to a canyon where I had killed a nice muzzleloader buck a few weeks earlier. We were hoping to find Tom’s son a nice buck to fill his tag on. Tom didn’t even take his rifle. Tom found two nice bucks feeding together and was able to his son close enough to put one of the bucks down. After the shot, the other buck just stayed right there with his fallen buddy.We talked Tom into not passing on the opportunity to kill the other buck with his son’s rifle. Tom dropped the buck within just a few feet of his son’s buck and just a few yards of where I shot my muzzleloader buck. John and I were about a mile away in the next canyon over. So we packed up our stuff and headed that way to help the guys pack the two bucks out. At the time, I was a little upset and grumpy about Tom delaying boning out the two bucks and waiting for John and myself to get to their location.He felt it was very important that we get a group photo, since it was and has been a team effort.Looking back and now knowing that would be the only group photo that included all five members of the “wolfpack” together helping out and enjoying the success. I’m so grateful for Tom waiting for that to happen.
After 2013, we mainly hunted in groups of two or three but it just never worked out to have the whole group together again like we did that Sunday in 2013. In a five year period between 2012 and 2016 our group (including a spouse, brother or sibling) would go on and kill 26 three point or better bucks, including several record class bucks. It just shows how long it can take to learn new areas and also hunting with new partners takes some time to have consistent success . We sure did have some great times up on the mountain and probably learned the most valuable lesson about it not being about the biggest buck on the mountain but about the quality time spent with friends and family.
Thanks again guys, for an incredible time during the past several years, I learned a lot
May karma be in your favor.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:37 AM   #17 (permalink)

I had the opportunity to scout multiple areas and multiple days with Tom on his mountain goat hunt. Also hunted several times with him for deer.
Went on a shed hunt with Corby. Great guys and your lucky to get to hunt with them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
ridgetop likes this.
swbuckmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbuckmaster View Post
I had the opportunity to scout multiple areas and multiple days with Tom on his mountain goat hunt. Also hunted several times with him for deer.
Went on a shed hunt with Corby. Great guys and your lucky to get to hunt with them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I remember that, that's awesome you were able to help Tom out. He's good company.
swbuckmaster likes this.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:49 PM   #19 (permalink)

Great post,I enjoyed reading all your hunting adventures!
swbuckmaster likes this.
CurrentCreekHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2017, 10:00 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentCreekHunter View Post
Great post,I enjoyed reading all your hunting adventures!
Thanks. I'm glad I forced myself to get it down in writing. It's amazing how much I have forgotten from the pre-wolfpack days.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.