> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,643
Threads: 57,194
Welcome to our newest member, dmchris
Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #21 (permalink)

Congrats on a lucky event! I cannot wait to hear more and more of this story and passion! Best of luck!
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2017, 08:08 PM   #22 (permalink)

Iíve been meaning to update this for a while, Iíll try to be better in the future. Weíve been down 3 more times, scouting 3 different areas.

The weekend of March 18th, 2017, I was on a weekend getaway with my family to St. George and was able to spend an afternoon scouting a spot near Zionís National Park, after spending some time hiking inside the park with the fam. While within the park that morning, we found a herd of ewes and lambs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ZionsEwe.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	110210 Click image for larger version

Name:	ZionsEwe2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	110218

We got within 10 yards of some of them, so it was really cool for the kids (and me!) to see them up close and hear the sounds they make. The lambs sounded just like domestic lambs, and the ewes made a deep growling/grumbling sound. Really interesting. Here is some footage of the communication of a ewe and her lambs as they were separated by a mini slot canyon.

And more footage of the ewes and lambs:

The sheep in the park seemed very tame, similar to the animals youíd find in Yellowstone National Park. They didnít seem worried at all that we were so close to them. Iím sure itíll be different with the sheep outside the park.
After the time in Zions, I scouted an area that we had circled on the map. Spent some time getting familiar with the roads, access points, glassing areas, etc. It was much different than the area in our first scouting trip. Instead of glassing from the bottom of the cliffs, I found myself glassing from the top which I found more difficult. Unfortunately, an afternoon of glassing didnít turn up any sheep in the huntable area outside the park. Wish I had more time to scout but I needed to get back to the family trip.

At the end of the day, it was fun seeing the sheep in the park and was awesome the family was able to experience it, but I was disappointed in the area I scouted. Granted, to scout it well, I needed more time, but I had higher hopes for it.

Last edited by brisket; 05-12-2017 at 10:40 AM.
brisket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2017, 10:14 AM   #23 (permalink)

About a month ago my brother backpacked in for a few days to a new area. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make this trip so I don't have a lot of details or pictures. He spent the majority of the time glassing and didn't find any sheep. One the way down, they lost the trail for a bit and ended up on some steep cliffs, in a dangerous situation. He was still a bit shaken up over it, even a few days later when I talked to him. After that experience, it sounds like he wants to do more glassing and less hiking, so we likely won't be going after the ram in the areas you have to backpack into.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2017, 09:45 AM   #24 (permalink)

At the end of April, I was on my way to a family vacation to SoCal and took a day to explore a different area and unit. Spent a lot of time getting to know the roads, access points, and glassed for several hours. Unfortunately, I didn't turn up any sheep. I liked one spot I found toward the end of the day, and wanted more time to glass it, but ran out of time. I'm pretty sure it holds desert bighorns but didn't find the ram we were looking for that day.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:42 AM   #25 (permalink)

Default Finally, some Rams!

Spent Memorial Day weekend playing in the desert, and scouting out a couple new areas we hadn't been to yet. Spent lots of time glassing, and found 2 different groups of bighorns.

Check out this ewe at the top of the cliff:

Name:	EweOnCliff.png
Views:	43
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	111154

And finally...we glassed a group of 5 bachelor rams! They were a couple miles away and unfortunately we had a optics malfunction so we didn't get the detail we wanted, but it was great to know we found an area that holds some rams. They climbed up the cliffs a bit and went into a cave for the night. The next morning we went back, saw them leave the cave, climbed the cliff and went over the top. We had a plan to hike in and get a better look, but they went out of sight and over the top too quickly. Still didn't get the detail we needed.

Hard to see their horns, but here are the rams:

Name:	RamsByCave.png
Views:	58
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	111162

Pretty cool view of Zion's I hadn't seen before:

Name:	ZionsView.png
Views:	42
Size:	833.7 KB
ID:	111170

We're really excited to finally (on the 5th trip) find some rams. I'll be upgrading my optics before the next trip down, hopefully, we'll be able to find them again, and have some decent pictures to share.

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.