> Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 11,520
Threads: 56,710
Welcome to our newest member, sshuntn
Like Tree81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2017, 04:59 PM   #81 (permalink)

Lets just say that once you draw a LE tag you are finished drawing a LE tag for that species. I know of one person that now has dawn 3 LE elk tags while another is still waiting for the same unit to draw it once. Granted one of those LE tags that the lucky person drew was a archery tag but the other two were rifle tags and he has bagged 3 elk on those 3 hunts.
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 05:00 PM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truelife View Post
Would it help any if a change were made to the waiting period system, lets use LE Elk for instance. Under the current system you draw a LE elk tag and there is a 5 year waiting period. What if the second time you drew a LE elk tag the waiting period doubled. If you were lucky enough to draw it 3 times then it would triple.

Add it to the swan draw system and it would really change things.
The problem is that people will still be applying for antelope while they're on their deer or elk waiting period, no matter how long it is. It would do little more than shift the pressure elsewhere, and make it harder on the rare few who actually choose to apply for antelope rather than elk or deer in Utah. My dad is one of those people, and I can tell you he'd rather see those hardcore elk and deer hunters out of the antelope pool and back into their preferred draw pool ASAP.

I don't know what you mean about the swan draw system, since there is no waiting period for swan. I think the swan system is as fair as can be - wait your turn, get a tag. Reliably hunt every 2-3 years. Nothing wrong with that.
wyogoob and Vanilla like this.
Clarq is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 09:29 PM   #83 (permalink)

Turn LE into OIL? I'm not a fan of that. While I understand it is becoming more and more like OIL in practice anyway, I like keeping it as it is. There is no perfect system as long as demand far exceeds supply.
CPAjeff and 7MM RELOADED like this.
Vanilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 09:55 PM   #84 (permalink)

My perfect fix is to put up or shut up - wanna hunt elk, deer, antelope, etc. on a regular basis? Do the homework and apply for as many states as possible. This mentality that we need to change the system to fit our needs is getting lame - it's impossible to please everyone. There are at least eight other Western states to hunt - it just takes a little budgeting, planning, and learning. Sure the unit might not be full of 350" bulls, 180" bucks, bugling bulls for ten days straight, or love sick mule deer, but the opportunity is definitely there. I have found that people accomplish exactly what they set themselves up for - either success due to planning or failure due to lack of planning.

Clarq just posted about his applications for Nevada and Montana - it seems that he has a plan and is working to accomplish it. The cool part about this forum is that there are others, just like Clarq, that aren't allowing one state and it's draw process to dictate how much hunting they do on any given year.
johnnycake and Clarq like this.

Last edited by CPAjeff; 03-21-2017 at 06:30 AM.
CPAjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2017, 05:58 AM   #85 (permalink)
West side Utah Lake

Once you get an LE tag you can't get another one for the same species for 5 years regardless of the area or method of hunting. Anyone over the age of 65 gets extra consideration for LE draws. LE draws require a minimum of 5 points.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:55 AM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarq View Post
I don't know what you mean about the swan draw system, since there is no waiting period for swan. I think the swan system is as fair as can be - wait your turn, get a tag. Reliably hunt every 2-3 years. Nothing wrong with that.
You're right Clarq, there is no waiting period for swans. But we are starting to see guys with 3 or 4 swan points now so maybe there should be. To say it's a "wait your turn" system simply isn't true if there are guys drawing nearly every year while others wait 2, 3 or 4 years to get a tag.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:00 AM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPAjeff View Post
My perfect fix is to put up or shut up - wanna hunt elk, deer, antelope, etc. on a regular basis? Do the homework and apply for as many states as possible. This mentality that we need to change the system to fit our needs is getting lame - it's impossible to please everyone.

Dang and I was completely convinced that by us commenting on this thread we would change the world and from now on I would draw every tag I put in for in every state..............

Just a few fellow hunters sitting around wishing they were out watching the sun rise instead of watching a computer screen.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:25 AM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Everybody has ideas of what would make our LE drawing system better. Here's my idea. I'd love to hear your comments for and against as well as your own remedies.
Sorry, maybe I misunderstood the first few sentences in your first post... I thought you were asking for comments and opinions, not a pat on the back for your idea.

Utah's system is pretty fair as it is, and like Vanilla pointed out, as long as demand exceeds supply - there will always be an imbalance. My fix is to apply for all the states I can, stack the odds in my favor, and not waste time thinking about things I can't control.
robiland and Vanilla like this.
CPAjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2017, 08:44 AM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
You're right Clarq, there is no waiting period for swans. But we are starting to see guys with 3 or 4 swan points now so maybe there should be. To say it's a "wait your turn" system simply isn't true if there are guys drawing nearly every year while others wait 2, 3 or 4 years to get a tag.
There are guys drawing swan tags every year?
Vanilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2017, 09:19 AM   #90 (permalink)

I think it is naive to think that draw systems will stay the same forever. Sure, apply and hope. But don't bank on the same opportunity to draw will be there in 18 years.

Look at WY, they are talking of cutting the non-resident quota for their "OIL" species to 90-10 split. That takes away 60% of the nr tags. They just changed non-resident deer-elk-lope quotas. Is Colorado going to maintain 35% of their tags to nonresidents? Doubt it. Will Utah really have people with 47 points?

Gotta plan and just go do it now (if you can). But a guy has to understand that systems change-- no matter if we like it or not.

Vanilla, johnnycake and CPAjeff like this.
Packout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.