• 1 Post By #1DEER 1-I
  • 2 Post By ZEKESMAN
  • 1 Post By Firehawk
  • 1 Post By ridgetop
  • 1 Post By #1DEER 1-I
  • 1 Post By MWScott72
  • 1 Post By OriginalOscar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2017, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default BHA at the expo-volunteers

To anyone who can help, I got this BHA email today thought I would pass it along:

Quote:
BHA Utah is participating in two events this month. The Expo...
The folks over at camofire.com and blackovis.com have donated us booth space at this year's Western Hunting & Conservation Expo Feb. 16-19th at the Salt Palace. We need roughly 20 volunteers to help staff the table, talk public lands, and recruit new members. Even if you haven't attended a BHA event before, please consider signing up for a time slot here and you'll get a chance to meet other like minded chapter members. And please thank camofire & blackovis for their generous donation!
Contact info: bhautahchapter@gmail.com

And heres the rest of the email:

Quote:
Newest assault on Public Lands

by UT Leadership-HR 621 & 622
Utah elected officials introduce new anti-public land legislation

Hunter and conservationist Shane Mahoney argues “If you are not fighting for hunting, you are fighting against it.” Simply put, the legacy and heritage we pass onto our posterity must emphasize the need to conserve wild places and wild creatures. Public lands have all but disappeared from Europe and much of the eastern half of the United States. Accessible public lands foster a democratic, republican ideal; indeed, public lands are a cornerstone of an American birth right that began when this country was still in its infancy.

And yet Utah's elected officials are leading the charge in destroying what most hunters and anglers hold most dear. U.S. Rep Jason Chaffetz introduced two bills last week (co-sponsored by UT Rep. Chris Stewart and UT Rep. Mia Love), which serious undermine the integrity of our Western public lands. H.B. 621 proposes to dispose of 3.3 million acres by directing "the Secretary of the Interior to sell certain Federal lands in AZ, CO, MT, NE, NM OR, UT, and WY." And perhaps even more troubling, if passed H.B. 622 would "terminate the law enforcement functions of the Forest Service and the BLM" thus compromising each agency's management authority.

We ask you now to contact all of your state and federal elected officials and let them know that in pursuing this federal land heist, they are unequivocally on the wrong side of history on this issue.

Please consider contacting all your elected officials

Feel free to cut-and-paste any of the information included herein; mailed letters and phone calls typically have a higher impact factor than emails.

Representative Chaffetz (or Stewart, Love, Bishop, Lee, Hatch),

Please take a moment to consider your title and vocation. Who do you understand as your constituency? You surely do NOT represent the passionate hunters and anglers of Utah who treasurer our public lands. H.R. 621 and 622 are both ill-conceived bills that are bad for Utah and bad for all Americans who rely on public lands to hunt, hike, fish, bike, recreate, and enjoy. We, the people of Utah, placed you in a position of power, to make decisions that will have a POSITIVE impact on our people and state.

As a hunting and fishing community we support active land management and understand the need for energy development, timber harvesting, and grazing on public lands. But don't purport to fool us into thinking that the State has our best interests in mind in this foolhardy pursuit. Consider that the Outdoor Recreation industry has already moved earlier this year to pull their multi-million dollar industry out of Utah should you continue to advance this irresponsible agenda. Public lands, and the wildlife they sustain, belong in stewardship of the public trust; what will we tell our grandchildren if these lands are sold off on our watch?

Also Rep. Chaffetz is scheduled to host a Town Hall meeting at Cottonwood Heights City Hall on Feb 9th from 7:00-9:00 pm. Please consider attending and speaking out as a sportsmen and BHA member.
Quote:
...and the Hunting Film Tour on February 25th @ Brewvies
If you've never been to the Hunting Film Tour you have been missing out on some of the best cinematic hunting footage available today.

BHA volunteers will be on site at the event to talk with other hunters about how to get more involved in the fight to keep public lands public. We are still looking for one or two volunteers to help us with this event as well.
Join BHA: http://www.backcountryhunters.org/join
Firehawk likes this.
#1DEER 1-I is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2017, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

It is too late to do anything about it. Y'all voted for these a$$hats. Vic
Lonetree and Lobowatcher like this.
ZEKESMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2017, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

I joined BHA earlier this month. I appreciate all of their efforts to help protect what most on here love and consider so important.

I hope that enough people voicing their concerns over these bills will keep these actions at bay.

Sad thing is that I have mostly appreciated Chaffetz as he mostly represents the values that I also share. That said, this issue is so high on my list of concerns that I knew I had to do something about it. That is why I joined BHA and now that I see the beckon call for volunteers, I may just have to figure out a way to help out.

Please join in the fight. Keep our land public!!!!

FH
#1DEER 1-I likes this.
Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2017, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

I was under the impression that many of the BHA members were also anti expo.
#1DEER 1-I likes this.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgetop View Post
I was under the impression that many of the BHA members were also anti expo.
This is a good way to reach out and recruit some new members for BHA and our public lands.

I've made it clear I don't like the expo because of the issues surrounding it. That being said there are 200 public tags there's thaat every sportsmen has a right to apply for. The expo would have my full support if it weren't for the shady dealings of.... well I'll stop there.
robiland likes this.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hot diggity - I'll definitely sign up for a slot even though not a member of BHA (seriously considering it though - where does a person spend their limited time/resources??). I've been leaning towards not attending the Expo, but I do believe that this is an EXCELLENT chance to inform a LARGE portion of the hunting and fishing community about what is actually happening with the Land Transfer debate.

Thanks for posting the BHA email / link 1-Eye!

Edit: I signed up for the Friday 4-7pm slot - anyone want to join me? Two slots still available!
#1DEER 1-I likes this.

Last edited by MWScott72; 01-31-2017 at 10:41 PM.
MWScott72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2017, 10:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWScott72 View Post
Hot diggity - I'll definitely sign up for a slot even though not a member of BHA (seriously considering it though - where does a person spend their limited time/resources??). I've been leaning towards not attending the Expo, but I do believe that this is an EXCELLENT chance to inform a LARGE portion of the hunting and fishing community about what is actually happening with the Land Transfer debate.

Thanks for posting the BHA email / link 1-Eye!
BHAs a great organization. Their membership is $25 a year and well worth it right now. They are the biggest defense hunters have on their side as opposition to this specific issue. As a member of the public that owns those lands thank you for your willingness to help them out with their booth at the expo....oh and take one of those 200 tags back from SFW while you're there.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

I just signed up to volunteer. Should be exciting.

FH
Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2017, 06:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

If I make it into the expo, I'll stop by the both and say hi.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Email send but signup link doesn't work?

I'm good Thursday afternoon and Sunday.
#1DEER 1-I likes this.
OriginalOscar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.