Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Point changes announced

6K views 41 replies 24 participants last post by  elkfromabove 
#1 ·
#11 ·
My family chooses to hunt in a unit that is not too popular. This should work out great for us since I'm certain some years where somebody in our party did not drawn were because another hunter put it as a back up and had more points than us.

That comment section
It's surprising to me how many people have no clue the difference between LE and GS.

#7 ·
No. My prediction is we continue with a massive winter kill. The only people getting tags this coming year are the ones using the loophole, as of course, they have the most points right now. It will clear out most of the max point holders then the next year things should even out as those that don't get a tag this year have more points going into the following years draw (as it should be).

It seems like we are on a trajectory that is going to minimally, result in 50% less tags than last year. One couldnt plan a worse winter for our wildlife as we have currently.

-DallanC

#24 ·
Interesting fact:
I just did some checking on the DWR GS deer result/draws 2016.

Did the math, There are 53,000+ sportsmen with 1 or more PP going into 2017.

Kinda surprised me, I can see were ALOT of guys with zero points will not draw a
general season deer tag this year.

#28 ·
Wow,
Forgot to add the guys in that just bought points last year, over 5,600.

We are looking at 60K with 1 or more PP going into 2017 for GS deer!
These are resident only numbers.

#29 ·
Say there is a 10 k reduction in tags overall and then take out 18% youth , then take out landowner and lifetime licenses . You may be left with only 50 k tags in the draw. The accumulation of points may continue, because of the limited availability of the resource and the different standards in allocating the tags .

#32 ·
They might want to start a bounty on snowflakes to help the deer herd.....

And there could be a possibility the stats presented/published are wrong? Say it ain't so!

60,000 people with 1 or more point? Get ready for point creep on some units and easier drawing on others.

My wife has 8 GS deer points. Where should she apply for a chance at a 195" typical? From the road.

#33 ·
They might want to start a bounty on snowflakes to help the deer herd.....

And there could be a possibility the stats presented/published are wrong? Say it ain't so!

60,000 people with 1 or more point? Get ready for point creep on some units and easier drawing on others.

My wife has 8 GS deer points. Where should she apply for a chance at a 195" typical? From the road.

Zion! And hunt some of the roads west of SR89 in the hopes that one (or more) of the Paunsaugunt broozers follows a doe across 89. :grin:

#35 ·
We used to hunt just on the south boundaries of the panguitch unit just for that reason back in the 90's. :mrgreen:
Our group got 2 or 3 very nice bulls doing that. I never got one, but was with a friend one morning when he got a dandy 6 x 6. I helped another guy get a 350+ bull loaaded he actually caught crossing the road to the open side. Another one got a 370 bull.

Now that unit is in the toilet as far as I am concerned. Don't hunt there or the unit anymore.

#36 · (Edited)
For sure; need a larger bounty and 200 more tags for the Expo!!!!!! That will solve the problem that those non-existent loop hole users created.. ( I never used it for the record).......until the next one that is.......let me guess what we'll hear "It takes me three years to draw when it used to take two! The wildlife board needs to be pro-active and fix it now by instituting a single point system for Deer!". Just pure sarcasm folks but I can hardly wait for the un-intended consequences to manifest themselves in the next two to three years

#37 ·
I'll live with the unintended consequences ;-)
At least now everyone in Salt Lake and Utah county have a chance at drawing 17 without someone getting it with their second choice every year.
But now I don't think those Thousand Lake tags are going to get very much easier to draw even with the change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.