Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Is now the time to be looking at bucks and bulls?

3K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  goofy elk 
#1 ·
Do you think this time of year (wintering grounds) is the best time to see what potential animals are around a given area? I understand animals migrate but wondered if people look at bucks and bulls this time of year to be scouting for next year etc? Please share.

Thanks
Bob

#3 ·
I 'look' almost every day.

I LOVE this time of year, I'm pretty much alone.:cool:

#5 · (Edited)
normally antelope eat their shed horns

I've already seen a few dropped bucks.

-DallanC
Yeah, seen a one-horned muley the other day on the Kemmererrer highway.

Looks like all the antelope bucks have kicked their horns off.

The animals that winter around here may have migrated over 100 miles. Many deer and elk wintering around Evanston are Utah deer and elk.

I don't associate big game animal's wintering grounds with where they will be come hunting season.

Reactions: Bob L.
#6 ·
Must be that time of year again. Saw several deer/elk shed Hunter surveillance teams hard at work during my travels this weekend. Winter time deer gazing is the best. I don't put too much stock in specific animals seen on winter range, but pay attention to big picture herd conditions.

I personally choose not to look for shed antlers while wintering herds are present......probably why I don't have very many sheds:grin:-------SS

#7 ·
Must be that time of year again. Saw several deer/elk shed Hunter surveillance teams hard at work during my travels this weekend. Winter time deer gazing is the best. I don't put too much stock in specific animals seen on winter range, but pay attention to big picture herd conditions.

I personally choose not to look for shed antlers while wintering herds are present......probably why I don't have very many sheds:grin:-------SS
Shed hunting would require I get out of the vehicle.

#9 ·
Do you think this time of year (wintering grounds) is the best time to see what potential animals are around a given area? I understand animals migrate but wondered if people look at bucks and bulls this time of year to be scouting for next year etc? Please share.

Thanks
Bob
I don't.
I've found a lot of mature bucks that have died in the winter , after they shed their antlers.
What do you think was the causes of those mature bucks dying

#20 ·
Saw a small group of bulls not far from the mouth of Provo Canyon late this afternoon. One looked like a pretty good bull, but I didn't have glass with me to confirm. There was a decent sized herd of cows on the hill next to the lake at the Wallsburg turn off too. There were a ton of deer around Deer Creek as well.

Looking for elk and deer was not the purpose of the trip, but it was still fun to see them.

#21 ·
TS,^^^^^^^^
Was that the group of 6 bulls at hwy 189 / 92 turn off?
I've seen them several times this winter and managed this photo of the two largest.

Attachments

Reactions: Bob L. and Vanilla
#22 ·
Not sure Goof. They were a ways off the road and I didn't have binos or a spotter. So I didn't get a good enough look at them to be able to say. I believe there was 4 in the group (maybe more that I didn't see in the oak brush?), one was a mature bull and the others were rags.

#23 · (Edited)
Bumped into a couple really nice bulls this morning.(1-20-17)

Both had broken up points, but solid frames.

Reactions: Dunkem
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.