»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 7,619
Threads: 45,446
Welcome to our newest member, K55C

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2007, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Antlerless Elk, Millville Face, Cache Valley

I drew a antlerless tag for Millville face in Cache Valley. It is my first elk hunt. I went out today on the opener and saw very little sign and no elk. Does anyone have any information they could share with me about this area? Are there elk in this area when the weather is unseasonably warm? I am feeling like my only hope is if winter hits hard in the next few weeks and drives them near the valley. If anyone know the areas elk habits and is interested in going with me let me know. thanks in advance.
milenine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2007, 08:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Antlerless Elk, Millville Face, Cache Valley

I too have a tag for that hunt. I normally hunt up in Franklin Basin, Temple Fork, or Swan Creek areas but those are all outside of the Millville Face boundries so I'm not real familiar with the areas of this hunt. I hit it hard over near Hardware yesterday, in an area I was told normally holds alot of elk, and saw no fresh sign at all after hiking a total of nearly 7 miles (I did see 50-60 deer including a couple of monster bucks!). I have seen elk before up in the Seep Spring area (Herd Hollow), and Richards Hollow, but those roads were due to be closed Nov 15-though maybe they have left them open for longer since there is no snow. I went scouting up Millville Canyon a week ago and same thing---nada, not even any sign. I know Leatham's Hollow off Left Hand Fork will usually hold elk, but I haven't been up into that area yet-it is not easy hiking there, I assure you. So I guess I'm like you-hoping someone has seen elk in this area lately and will share that info. I did have a friend tell me he saw a few individual elk up in the Sow Hole area (again off Left Hand Fork), but I haven't been up there as of yet either. One thing is for sure-If the roads are closed from Cowley Canyon to Left Hand Fork, it reduces the hunting area by around 75%, so without snow, plan on hiking your butt off to get to them, wherever they are. I normally hike way back anyway, even in my normal hunting area. I will keep you posted on this thread on my results and findings, and you do the same. There are only 125 permits for the area, and likely only a handful visit this site. Being an antlerless hunt, it's not like we are giving up any great secret-- there is a good herd somewhere up there, and there are plenty of cows to go around.
gr84play is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2007, 08:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to lehi

The Millville Face hunt does depend on how much snow there is ( at least thats what ive heard.) you could try hiking up to the very top, the hunt is long so you better pray for lots of snow.
lehi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2007, 08:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

We need snow guys, and lots of it. That will drive them down to the face. There are usually in the neighborhood of 300 elk that winter there. You could try going up left hand fork of the Blacksmith, or right hand fork of Logan, and check up in there. You could go to the xroads, and head West. I don't know if East is in your area. If it is, then you could try up towards Ephraim's Grave. Mt. Logan area might hold some right now as well (West). Good luck!

I have a cow tag as well, but it's for the South side of Blacksmith. It opens the 5th I believe, and I'm looking for snow as well. But I do know of an area that is public I might try if the big snows don't come soon.
dunn_gary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2007, 02:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have the same tag and I normally will not even go looking for elk until the snow pushes them over the top. Keep in touch and I will let you know. I live at the mouth of the canyon and spend a lot of time watching the face and driving the canyon.
GSPS ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2007, 09:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

I took a scouting trip up past Richards Hollow (between the top of Cowley Canyon and Logan Peak) yesterday. The elk are definitely high up. The higher I went, the more sign I saw, though nothing in great abundance. There was some very fresh sign near the White Bedrock Spring area, but it did appear to be just a few scattered individual animals. It really looks like the elk are well dispersed right now-not bunched up at all yet- and that they are really way up there. On the bright side, we have a chance to get some pretty good snow up on top over the next week, so hopefully that will drive them down some and they will start grouping up. Of course, that will likely get the FS to close the gates at Cowley Canyon and Herd Hollow. On a side note, I saw over 30 more deer yesterday--8 of them bucks and a couple of them very nice. I have seen nearly 100 deer and some **** nice bucks over the last two days in Cache County! That's right--in Cache where the deer are usually so scarce I haven't even bothered hunting for them the last two years. I found a saddle Saturday that is a regular deer highway, so I may actually even go ahead and get a tag for here next year and I sure didn't expext to say that for at least 5-10 more years!
gr84play is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2007, 07:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

The elk are up high! I saw a herd of 32 on saturday morning and again that evening, and a couple bachelor herds of bulls. Tonight I saw a herd of 7 bulls and then right before dark saw about 20 cows - could be the same herd. They were on a different mountain but again up really high. About 1800 yards outside my rifle range...

I'm hoping we get a lot of snow too, because they're hard to get to on foot!

If someone would just buy me a nice leica spotting scope, I could view the top of the face above millville from my back porch and let you know when they show up.
Sako is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2007, 07:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

I live right below Millville face and the only advice is go high. But my advice is to wait till it snows and pushes them down. I know 5 different local guys that have the tag. I know were a herd is of about 80 animals are but I have all ready told two of the guys I know that have the tags so I will let them go and fill their tags before I let the world know on the forum. Sorry. But the elk are there.

Just remember right now you will have to bone the elk out to get them out unless you wait.

That being said I would still go out and get them just cause I like seeing if my fat but can still perform in the steep country.

good luck
clean pass through is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2007, 03:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'd love to help someone get a cow out of that area... I have a few places in mind where the elk where during the general season. I can't guarantee anything but I did get a few shots off at a cow during the general season so I know where they have been. If you are interested in letting me tag a long send me an email at nambaster@yahoo.com. And if anyone is willing to sacrafice a hide or a brain I would love to recieve a donation for my brain tanning efforts. I know GPS rock is always willing to lend a hand as well. Anyhow I can serve as meat packer for anyone in need of a hand.
Nambaster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2007, 04:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to lehi

I can help too. I live in providence.
lehi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.