»
 > Search
 > FAQ
» Stats
Members: 8,824
Threads: 47,007
Welcome to our newest member, SValdez

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What are the road kill laws in UT?

Back in MN if I hit a deer, I had to call the dNr and they would issue me a free roadkill tag, and I got to keep the meat. I heard that if you hit an animal in UT that if the dWr finds out...you get a 'destruction of wildlife ticket' and you don't get to keep the animal. Any light shed on this situation would be appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 09:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: What are the road kill laws in UT?

If it's like MN let us know, I will go buy a $200 car and start filling the freezer every winter. I have heard the same thing, you will be issued a ticket. If you want meat call the animal control in the city you live in next time you see a deer get hit and they might be able to hook you up. It used to be that way a while backbut don't know if they still do it.
Dark Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

there were some years we had more meat from cars than rifles/bows in my family. meat is meat, doesn't matter how it died.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

I just kinda feel guilty leaving a perfectly good animal on the road. I would hope that it would at least make it to a homeless shelter. depending on how fresh it was of course.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

I know first hand what will happen to you if you hit a deer and take the meat without going through the proper channels. My "wildlife crime" portfolio has just such a violation in it.

I won't bore all of you with the details of my fiasco. But I will tell you what I should have done.

If you hit a deer with your car you are to call the highway patrol day or night and have an officer come out and investigate the deed. If you want the meat he can then dispatch the DWR to the scene and THEY will either choose to take the animal from you, or give the animal to you. If it is a huge buck, you're NOT going to get it. Don't even try. If you don't fallow procedure on this issue and are caught, you will get a ticket for unlawful possession of a big game animal. A class B misdemeanor. (a felony if it's a trophy buck) Some officers will let you prove that you didn't poach the animal with a weapon and lower it to a class A misdemeanor. This conviction will carry a jail sentence of two years and a $2000 fine. The judge will likely suspend the jail time and lower the fine to around $200. If you're nice and completely compliant. As mentioned above, I have first hand experience with this...
Old 01-20-2009, 08:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

I don't know what the laws are concerning road kill, but it might depend on the DWR officer that responds to the incident.
I know of two incidences in Davis County where a raod kill was reported to the DWR and an officer issued a tag that allowed the individuals to keep the animals they hit. one of them was a 28" buck.
2 years ago one of my crews was doing some work in the hills above Bountiful when a doe got caught up on a rod iron fence and broke a back leg. After the DWR and local police arrived and put the animal down, a tag was issued to a cunstruction crew working on a nearby home and they enjoyed fresh venison for a few days.
whatever you do, make sure you contact the DWR before doing anything with road kill.
bigelk08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 02:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
If it's like MN let us know, I will go buy a $200 car and start filling the freezer every winter.
This is probably the exact reason the laws are different.

Tex, if you have the time, I would like to hear the story. Perhaps on another thread?

http://www.AGAproducts.com
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

The laws are about the same in Utah. The highway patrol can put you in contact with the DWR and they will issue you a permit number for the meat. They can issue it over the phone. The only time they might not is if it is a trophy animal.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Before I had enough income not to worry about food for the table, I put my name on the local police list to pick up road kills. They would call me whenever they had an animal down. I had to go to the site, pick up the animal and take it out of the way someplace and gut it. Then the next day a DWR person would show up and inspect the animal to make sure it wasn't shot. He would issue me a salvage tag and the animal was all mine. Most of them were does, but meat was meat.
Just a few weeks ago a friend of mine hit a small deer and killed it. She reported it to the UHP, but didn't stick around for them to arrive (she had to get to work). Later in the day, her husband contacted the UHP and DWR and all agreed that he could salvage that deer. I have the liver in my freezer right now. Sharing is good.
Bears Butt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
If it's like MN let us know, I will go buy a $200 car and start filling the freezer every winter.
This is probably the exact reason the laws are different.

Tex, if you have the time, I would like to hear the story. Perhaps on another thread?
A long time ago when I was young...

I hit a deer, late at night, kept the meat, got turned in by a nosy neighbor, got a ticket, had to prove I didn't shoot it, had to surrender all the meat, went to court, got a $200 fine and a years probation.

NOT worth it!

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Utah Wildlife Network forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.